Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FinalIntern8888 t1_je4xiev wrote

I thought it was obvious they were talking about developing other parts of JC rather than just strictly downtown.

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_je5dw7c wrote

The part of JC doesn't matter in this sense. The strategy in downtown or elsewhere in JC like Heights or Westside should be the same: increase density. That's how you relieve pressure on rent.

And since we happen to have an underbuilding NYC right next to us, we have to build A LOT because it's difficult to build enough as New Yorkers just keep coming over and filling it up. The answer is build, build, build. Build up.

FinalIntern8888 t1_je5ep8b wrote

Not sure I’m following, I think OP has a valid point. If only one or three neighborhoods are seen as desirable within JC (basically downtown, Heights, Newport) then the other areas are going to be neglected. They need to build out in order to avoid all the investment and development from getting concentrated in these small handful of locations as opposed to the rest of town, which consists of many many other neighborhoods.

Maleficent-Baby-1926 t1_je62854 wrote

very important. JC is still affordable the areas are just less desirable atm. hopefully that changes.

FinalIntern8888 t1_je69bo3 wrote

Right, I’m not quite sure why OP is downvoted so heavily. If you only build up, rents are going to remain high and get higher in the desirable areas. The underdeveloped areas will remain cheaper, but less connected to the rest of town due to shitty mass transit options. There’s a middleground somewhere here

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_je5qcjh wrote

That's all correct except they need to build up and not out. JC doesn't have any farmland to suburbanize.