Submitted by luxuryparking_ t3_127mgf8 in jerseycity

Can anyone point me to a resource about local birds? I know there are lots of cool species at LSP, but specifically trying to identify birds I’ve seen around Van Vorst and other downtown parts.

Have been hearing the most beautiful bird songs in the morning, and would love to know who is singing them.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

flippenstance t1_jef0m5o wrote

On my morning walk yesterday I saw:

Swans

Mallards

Robins

Starlings

House finch

Brants Geese

Canada Geese

Mockingbird

Blackbird

Grey Junco

Lots to see

cC2Panda t1_jefhqn2 wrote

In my yard I get grackles, mourning doves in my roof/awning, rock pigeons, sparrows, finches, occasional black birds, mockingbirds and cardinals. Near Morris Canal I spot a lot of what you mentioned, and at night during low tides you can often spot Black Crowned Herons.

[deleted] t1_jefl2rx wrote

[deleted]

Lokja t1_jefr1xu wrote

Yeah I love this walk and watching the birds. Once even saw a Great Blue Heron, and Mockingbirds harassing an Osprey. The Brants are only here before they move further north so enjoy the funny honks they make now haha

robin_tern t1_jees90b wrote

Most likely a mockingbird, if it is in a built up area like Van Vorst Park. They are medium-small birds, grey/white with long tails.

My namesakes, Robins, are also vocal in the Jersey City parks, but I wouldn't describe their song as beautiful exactly.

Robin.

mooseLimbsCatLicks t1_jeffbr2 wrote

There is a nature center in liberty state park that is free to enter and has this info

Captain-Rhubarb t1_jefn9lj wrote

The nature center also hosts wildlife walks, did one last year and can recommend. Saw some cool ducks.

FelixTaran t1_jefmqvh wrote

There is also the Feminist Bird Club of JC, which has bird watching walks and things, esp around LSP. They’re on Instagram @fbc.jc.

erobinsonh t1_jefw0tz wrote

there's a Facebook group called Jersey City Birds

Fozziebear3 t1_jegxaaz wrote

Definitely recommend Merlin as others have said. And then eBird once you get going to track your progress and be a bit more advanced with it!

Otherwise Merlin coupled with a solid pair of binoculars will have you pretty fluent in no time.