Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_jbkr715 wrote

OK fine, top POSSIBLE speed. What speed do they run at? Because it feels significantly slower than that

TrafficSNAFU t1_jbkv3bd wrote

As far as I'm aware from documentation I've seen and my personal experience, on the Bayonne Branch south of Danforth Avenue trains operate at a max speed of 55-56mph. I was able to double check a NJDOT State Safety Oversight document from 2021. It states "The HBLR operation is bi-directional with reverse signaling. The Available speeds for operation are in increments between 5 and 55-mph. Two additional speed control limits are available for specific circumstances, namely a 15-mph Yard speed and a 35-mph Street Running mode."

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_jbkynax wrote

You're citing books as to what they can operate at, not what they do. I've been on that line plenty and seen it going a lot slower than nearby car traffic, hence my doubt. I'll try to remember to get a speedometer app next time I use it.

TrafficSNAFU t1_jbkze46 wrote

When I have personally ridden that section of the line it does seem from my perspective compared to the traffic on NJ 440 we appear to be operating at that speed or a comparable speed.