Submitted by Fine-Investigator200 t3_123s0jh in jerseycity

considering moving to JC in the summer and I work in midtown nyc full time. Previously, I lived in Hoboken and the 126 picked up on almost every corner, took you to 42nd st. port authority which is over ten blocks closer to my office than the PATH. Am I reading this correctly or is the only bus stop from JC to NYCPA in journal square? So if you live in downtown JC you need to transfer at Journal Square? I find that hard to believe but I am not seeing another route except for the 119 & the 125, both pick up in Journal Square.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chilltopjc t1_jdw0892 wrote

The 119 and 125 make lots of stops on their way to PABT. There's also the 123, which starts at Christ Hospital on Palisade Ave and goes north to PABT from there.

If you live downtown, going up to JSQ to catch these buses doesn't make a lot of sense. It'll be faster and cheaper to take PATH to the city and transfer to the NYC subway if you're going farther uptown. There are a few 126 buses that start/end at Hamilton Park in downtown JC if that helps.

Direct_Ad18 t1_jdw1oiu wrote

If you are moving to downtown JC why not take the PATH to WTC and transfer to the E? The PATH ride from Exchange place to WTC is about 6 minutes. And the E is right next to where the PATH lets out - it's a very quick transfer. If the E doesn't work for you you can get to many other subway lines via a short underground walk.

I don't know why anyone would want to take a bus from downtown JC to the city - this commute sounds like torture and makes zero sense. As I'm sure you know, the bus lanes into the city are via the Lincoln Tunnel - do you know how long it would take a bus to get from downtown JC to the Lincoln Tunnel?

Downtown Jersey City is across from lower Manhattan, so it's easier to get to lower Manhattan. Hoboken is across from midtown Manhattan, so it's easier to get to midtown Manhattan. If you are insistent on taking the bus, you should look into the Heights, which is also across from midtown Manhattan.

Fine-Investigator200 OP t1_jdw69eh wrote

But if you have to transfer to the NYC subway from the PATH then you will have to buy a second unlimited metro pass, no? It would double the cost of your commute instead of just buying one bus pass.

pigdog12 t1_jdwz7ku wrote

Unlimited metrocard and smartlink rarely make sense for people unless you’re going into the city for work every weekday and traveling on weekends as well.

3 zone njt bus pass to ny is $148

10/20/40 trip smartlink is 2.60/ trip

30 day unlimited smartlink is 110.25

30 day unlimited metrocard is 127

You have to use the unlimited smartlink 43 times or more in 30 days and the unlimited metrocard 47 times or more in 30 days for them to make sense

With the bus pass you need to take a 3 zone bus trip 33 times or more in a month. You’d also be able to take 1 and 2 zone trips and use the light rail as well, so value is not as easily quantifiable.

jman457 t1_je1o9gx wrote

Also didn’t the subway made it so it’s automatically unlimited anyways as long as you use the same subway card/ regular card if your using contactless

pigdog12 t1_je1ohro wrote

With omny? You have to hit $33 a week and then it’s free or something like that

jman457 t1_je1ou8b wrote

Yeah so there really isn’t a point in buying an unlimited metro card at that point bc that’s basically the price for a weekly unlimited

pigdog12 t1_je1p1ra wrote

You have to take at least 14 trips a week for omny to make sense

Direct_Ad18 t1_jdw6q6q wrote

Correct, but I promise you that this is what everyone that lives in downtown JC is doing. You will have to buy a SmartLink card for the PATH.

cmc t1_jdwrotb wrote

You can also get a Citibike membership (which I'm pretty sure is still under $200 for a year- it's gone up recently though so don't quote me on that!). PATH to 33rd, hop on a Citibike for those last 10 blocks. Citibike membership is good in JC and NYC so you can ride it any time you choose at home too.

Personally I take my personal bike to the ferry, but I work in SoHo so it's a quick ride vs. midtown.

Economy-Cupcake808 t1_jdygd4b wrote

The difference is marginal. It will depend on how frequent you are in the office. Honestly your best bet is to just try a few options and stick with whichever you prefer. There’s no right answer to this question.

I like the bus because I really enjoy not having to transfer. Some people prefer the PATH because it’s (depending on destination) faster.

NJ_Bus_Nut t1_jdwfn5g wrote

Some 126 routes start from Hamilton Park, but that's mostly weekday rush service

Otherwise, it's the 119, 123, or 125.

Technical-Monk-2146 t1_jdxbqqm wrote

If you want those bus lines then you should move to the Heights. There’s no good bus service from downtown. When I worked in midtown (52nd and 7th) I just walked from the PATH. Or rode a Citibike up Hudson River bike path from either Christopher or WTC.

kittyglitther t1_jdvzf74 wrote

119 makes stops along central and around the heights.

jerseyjitneys t1_jdwtpgt wrote

The buses to NYC stop effectively every block of two, wherever there is a bus stop.

The bigger issue is that there are no buses direct to NYC from downtown JC. And if there were, they would take too long. Look into taking the PATH or Ferry. The ferry has a free shuttle bus in NYC along 42nd street, so it might get you even closer to your office.

aa043 t1_jdwula8 wrote

Some rush hour NYC bound jitneys go to Hoboken and then near PABT; usually quicker than NJTbuses and some go further east but schedule is unknown. Combining first jitney with other buses or jitneys near Lincoln tunnel is often faster than waiting for scheduled NJT buses but you have to pay for separate rides.

Gate 51 bus goes to Gate 51 inside PABT from inside JSQ with more frequency than NJT buses. There is also a system of ferries with connecting buses in Manhattan.

RPETennis t1_jdxhp9n wrote

I wouldn’t make the move myself. I think downtown is best for downtown NYC commutes.