Submitted by No-Anybody5254 t3_11rvr46 in jerseycity

I've recently rented a car from Newport Mall Hertz. Everything went well until two weeks after I returned the vehicle, I got a ~100$ toll charge for a 3-day rental. Hertz (PlatePass) claims there's a 25.99$/day all-inclusive Toll charge if I ever use any toll road...I've never sign-up for such thing in the rental agreement.

In the past I have used Hertz in other locations with PlatePass, and they never charged such "all-inclusive" fees. Has anyone experienced this before?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

flapjack212 t1_jcag2ud wrote

i'm not sure i really understand your question, did you call hertz?

i've paid for platepass after electing it, i've never paid it after not electing it, seems like a pretty simple issue to complain to hertz about

edit: reading it again now, is it that you didn't elect it, used a toll road, and then were served the all-inclusive fee rather than the per-usage fee? sounds like you should ask hertz if they still have a per use fee at all. that said the per use was like $6 adminstrative + your actual toll price so depending on where you went it might be similar $ (which is why i ended up voluntarily electing the all inclusive last time)

No-Anybody5254 OP t1_jcdptcb wrote

To clarify, I did not elect anything upon picking up the car. The guy at Hertz didn't mention anything about Toll at all. I was charged the all-inclusive fees which was substantially more expensive than the actual toll amount.

In the past, I have rented Hertz cars in many other locations. One time, I was told by a Hertz person, as long as I take out the EZ pass in the PlatePass box attached to the windshield, I would be charged per-usage fees. If I don't take it out, they will charge by plate (which was the same as all-inclusive, because I actually forgot one time before).

Today I called Hertz and was told I need to opt-out of all-inclusive explicitly.

READTHEBOOKJC t1_jcbecfm wrote

That Sucks - for future - bring your own EZ PASS !!!!!! that is the only way to avoid Hertz jacking you for outrageous fees - you can still have an ez pass if you do not own a car - you can get online in advance or at any tollbooth cash lane

indiagenie t1_jcai1a2 wrote

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=USplatepass.jsp

If you feel you didnt opt-in and dont get satisfactory answers from calling the Hertz location, you can dispute the charge with your CC and let them sort it out for you.

No-Anybody5254 OP t1_jcdq4em wrote

I actually did, AMEX withheld it once after I disputed, but rebilled me today. They even sent me a document reiterating the reasons PlatePass gave. I called the AMEX customer service and they told me there's nothing they can do unless the merchants agree to pay me back.

Bellaboo1230 t1_jcbpat1 wrote

Oh that Hertz has issues. I got charged for tolls in the Lincoln tunnel that I never drove in. I contacted them and they did pay back the money eventually. It was never explained how the license plates I was driving with were seen in the tunnel during the time I had the car in Maryland, but who knows.

No-Anybody5254 OP t1_jcdqfy3 wrote

I've read about people intentionally swap EZ pass in rental cars so someone else will get the toll charge... I now suspect that happens here, and my EZ pass wasn't even associated with my own rental so my plate got charged...