Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_ir58urb wrote

I'm all for electric vehicle adoptions and DIY charging solutions. All for it.

But, I don't like this at all. They can saw a groove in the sidewalk and run the wire in the groove if they want to do this, I would have zero issues with that. But this is bad.

flapjack212 t1_ir59s0z wrote

i strongly agree... that plus the other person's comment of how do you even get the same spot every night

however i'm actually just saying this specific "solution" is not a valid one. there are plenty of other options. none are as convenient as if we all lived in a single family house in the suburbs, so you'll have to decide if any of these are workable.

1. there are garages / parking lots in downtown JC with charging. would you be interested in renting a monthly spot and solving the problem that way? are you nearby?
  2. there are several public level2 chargers in the area. how much do you drive, do you live near any of these chargers?
  3. some of the destinations in our area have chargers (ikea, walmart, wawa, jersey gardens, newport mall), are you near those / do you frequent those?

if you hate all of the above i'd suggest not getting a battery EV yet

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_ir5az2x wrote

or just put the charger at work

flapjack212 t1_ir5bz5r wrote

unless the workplace is set up to charge EVs (in which case you likely would just be charging with their equipment) it's unlikely you spend enough time at work that L1 charging would recuperate the power used to commute much less do your weekend errands/trips

that said it's theoretically possible, just depends on your usage and commute and your work schedule i guess...