Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Sonatarhia t1_iu9opsf wrote

When my kids were younger, we'd start around 4pm, and here's our approach (near the VVP area):

- school ends at 3pm. Come home for a quick rest, drink some water and a snack (non-sugary!!!). I think many kids start right away after school, but personally, I find not all businesses have candy ready that early (see my next point)

- head out around 4 or 4:30 - hit all the businesses in the area first! A bit too early for private home/stoop trick or treating, but if you hit the businesses later, they would all be out by then

- once we're done with the businesses, then we'd go around the neighborhood for private homes / stoops. I think most private people start coming out around 5:30 or so

- if you're near VVP, make sure to swing by - they decorate the park every year, and it's a blast for the kids

- treat or treating is VERY GOOD in the VVP area, esp the few blocks around VVP (Mercer, Wayne, etc)

- Don't forget the newark pedestrian plaza festivities, obviously. But I find that area gets too crowded and can be dangerous/too much for younger kids.

Make sure to bring a backpack for yourself - there are so much candy to collect along the way, the bags/buckets for the kids will be full and heavy very quickly. I usually unload several rounds into my backpack during the evening, so the kids have a light load :-)

It's a lot of work for the parents (yes! I was exhausted every year after treat-or-treating with my kids. Who knew getting free candy is so much work!!!) - make sure you rest well this weekend, and go to bed early on sunday night so you're ready for monday.

Have a blast!

bdim14 OP t1_iudsgsc wrote

Thanks for the detail, this is great! So you're referring to Monday, yea? It seems like they may do Sunday (per /u/whybother5000 above), and Monday?

Sonatarhia t1_iueajft wrote

Yes, that's usually the "day of" sequence for us. When Halloween falls on a weekend (or monday / friday), then I feel it's very different as it becomes a weekend-long event. But I think "real" treat-or-treat is always 10/31.

Have a great time - sometimes I feel I loved Halloween as much as my kids (maybe a tad more even? heehehehhe)

bdim14 OP t1_iu9eady wrote

Haven’t found what day/time kids will be trick or treating this year … wanted to walk around the neighborhood with the wife and dog. Thanks I’m advance for any insight.

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_iu9ek27 wrote

It's always on Halloween. Don't know what time, sorry.

bdim14 OP t1_iu9eqff wrote

Thanks , wasn’t sure if they would do it tonight or Sunday, being the weekend and all.

whybother5000 t1_iu9w5q6 wrote

Tomorrow 4-8 in VVP

−3

bdim14 OP t1_iuds4gc wrote

Thank you. What's VVP by chance? Van Vorst Park, yea?

whybother5000 t1_iudsv93 wrote

Van Vorst Park

bdim14 OP t1_iudszg9 wrote

Yep as soon as I hit enter, I realized how obvious that was. Thanks again though. So tonight 4-8pm, yea?

bindrosis t1_iube7vk wrote

Do they really trick or treat tomorrow? On the 30th?

whybother5000 t1_iud4ux5 wrote

Saw a flyer for VVP this evening so appears they are this year. Halloween rather inconveniently fell on a Monday this year. May be more concentrated in the park instead of door to door.