Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sadgirl_420 t1_is5n823 wrote

As someone who got a bullshit court date over THREE tickets for putting recycling out on the wrong day (because it was not picked up the night it was put out) - I am personally offended by this now.

jersey385 t1_is5d0iv wrote

#amydegenerate #hudsoncountypolitics #criminalcouncilwoman Feel free to tweet the mayor with your thoughts on the topic and his quasi support of this garbage.

aa043 t1_is5xu78 wrote

"Black said he was considering a lawsuit against DeGise"

Anyone who has watched videos of the accident knows that Andrew Black was cycling behind a car that stops for a red light. Andrew then crosses to other side of road and passes the stopped car on its left side. He does not look for oncoming traffic and is looking towards left when DeGise hits the bike with right side of her bumper throwing him up in the air.

Despite Andrew's report to police that he had a green light and right of way ( he will probably claim confusion due to trauma and shock of the accident which he clearly caused) driver of stopped, he was entirely at fault for the accident. At that point, DeGise is actually the victim of a terrible mistake by Mr. Black. Driver of stopped car if asked to testify should explain what they saw along with any witnesses.

A lawsuit after causing the accident will keep Mr. Black in the news. Bicycle advocates should stay away once they see entire video which shows too many people breaking traffic rules.

−20

shmorkin3 t1_is672je wrote

Doesn’t matter that he’s at fault for the crash, she hit him and then **ran. It’s that second part that has people riled up - the fact that she didn’t stop after the collision and refuses to take any accountability. She’s not a “victim”.

aa043 t1_is6qgjj wrote

Why do you keep insisting it doesn't matter that he's entirely at fault for the crash?

Have you even been hit by another person breaking laws? Accident was entirely Andrew Black's fault. He will be lucky to get away with lying on a police report because its obvious from the video that he was behind a car that stopped for a red light and then he weaves left to pass the stopped car. Support for such stupid moves is absurd.

Her mistakes were after the accident, imagine yourself in same situation as a victim of an unexpected accident entirely caused by someone else; she just kept driving, probably in shock (if it was a motorcycle like the one shown later in the video instead of a bike, DeGise could have been injured).

Cars and bikes need to stop crossing solid lines: Andrew crossed the double median lines to pass the car stopped for red light, he should have stopped instead like the car.

−9

drinfernodds t1_is6st6r wrote

Because you don't flee the scene of an accident, even if someone else is at fault. There is zero excuse to drive off. If she had stopped and checked on him, she wouldn't be in this situation.

Everyone knows it's a stressful thing to crash into someone, but driving off is the worst way to handle it.

aa043 t1_is8tpin wrote

It was definitely not a normal situation. Some statements made initially to police were wrong but somehow they still hold value for those who don't like some politicians.

Viewpoints should reflect what happened. Instead of 'crash into someone' try 'someone crashed into her car' since she just drove straight with green light. Look at video and try to figure out how anyone could have avoided the inevitable accident. Luckily no one badly hurt.

Its like getting hit by a deer that jumped onto the highway. That's my best analogy and I know someone who was a victim of such an accident and it was very traumatic. 'hit' was made by 'deer' that caused the accident not the victim driving normally.

My guess would be she went into shock, but I agree she should have called police once she was able to.

−1

restricteddata t1_is78edg wrote

> she just kept driving, probably in shock

She drove off without stopping or even slowing, and did not report it to the police for six hours. Shock does not last six hours. Do you think you would ever be in a legitimate situation where you'd run into a bicyclist, not stop, and then not bother to report it for half a day? If your answer is "yes" then you probably shouldn't be driving. I absolutely cannot see it.

That is not a little mistake. It's a serious crime. And it lends itself very well to the idea that she may have had some reason she didn't want to be in touch with police for a long time after she had been in the car.

Running a red light on a bike is a minor crime. Hit and run with an SUV is not a minor crime. Don't be a dummy.

aa043 t1_is8f7z9 wrote

You pretend this is a no fault accident. You need to accept the reality that Andrew Black seems to have caused the accident by running a red light and also biking on wrong side of the road potentially endangering others.

I never say she did not make a mistake leaving. You just stated running a red light on a bike is a minor crime. But in this case it has caused the accident your group is so upset about; biker is 100% at fault and DeGise is the victim of your minor crime. We must let the courts decide; that's my dumb advice for you.

−1

fasulo_ t1_is8s880 wrote

You must be an idiot or a shill, so I won’t editorialize.

Leaving the Scene of an Accident in New Jersey (39:4-129 & 2C:12-1.1)

Drivers involved in an auto accident are required by New Jersey law to stop and exchange personal and insurance information. In addition, in cases involving injuries, a driver must attempt to render aid to those who need it. However, some drivers are so shocked and scared by the circumstances of the accident that they panic and flee instead.

The penalties for leaving the scene of an accident in NJ can include fines of $200 to as much as $15,000, plus a suspended license and prison sentence of up to 5 years.

Moreover, New Jersey prosecutes leaving the scene of an accident under two distinct statutes: one as a traffic violation and one as a criminal act. A person who flees an accident in which people are injured or killed can be charged with both.

Penalties for Leaving the Scene of an Accident in NJ (Injuries or Death)

When a person leaves the scene of an accident in which one or more persons are hurt or killed, the penalties increase significantly. In addition, the person will be charged with both the traffic offense (39:4-129) and the criminal offense (2C:12-1.1). These penalties are as follows.

Jail/Prison: Conviction for the traffic violation carries a sentence of up to 180 days. The criminal charge is a third-degree indictable offense (felony) that carries a prison sentence of 3 to 5 years. License Suspension: For accidents with injuries or fatalities, leaving the scene means a one-year suspension. Fines: Under the traffic violation, the fine for leaving the scene of an accident resulting in injury or death is between $2,500 to $5,000. The criminal offense carries a fine of up to $15,000. Surcharge: Due to the number of points assigned to the traffic offense for a hit-and-run with injuries, drivers can expect to pay a surcharge of at least $600, in addition to the fines. Points: New Jersey assigns 8 points for leaving the scene of an accident in which someone is hurt or killed under the traffic offense statute.

restricteddata t1_isflsqe wrote

It. Doesn't. Matter. Who. Caused. The. Accident.

The crime is Hit and Run. If she didn't do that, then the cause of the accident would matter. But she did, so it doesn't.

I wonder who you think my "group" is. I'm a progressive/liberal Democrat who generally supports Fullop and the rest of his slate. But I absolutely have a distaste for politicians who think they are "above the law" (which DeGise clearly does, as is evidenced by all of the other shady shit that came out after this debacle), and I have a deep distaste for cynical corruption (like nepotistic party politics) both because it is gross and because it decreases confidence in electoral democracy, which is deeply dangerous, especially at this moment. Everything she has done since the accident has said, loudly and clearly, that she is a piece of shit who should not be in power. The fact that nearly the entire city council and the mayor are willing to look the other way on this — because of the aforementioned Hudson County party machine politics — makes me sick of the whole bunch, and makes me fear that it gives an angle for other piece of shit politicians from the other party to get a foothold and push terrible policies. I also don't want someone in power who can't be held accountable because her daddy is an important person. I want my politicians accountable, sorry. I know, a really, truly radical idea, ain't it?

So yeah. I care about this. I also care because I have some bare standards for decency for politicians, and running someone over and not stopping to check if they are OK violates that. My uncle and aunt were victims of a hit and run years ago, and were crippled by it. It does not matter one bit to me whether they were at fault. What matters is that some asshole left them there to die. There's no excuse for it.

I wouldn't trust someone like that to watch my dog, much less have a voice in running my city. And separate from that, the corruption of it drags the entire city down. She has to go. I don't give a shit about someone on a bike running a red light. That's a thing that endangers primarily himself. What she did is anti-social. There's a huge difference.

If you can't see that, you're either her father, or a moron. I'm sorry.

aa043 t1_isi87lp wrote

>Running a red light on a bike is a minor crime.

Unrelated to DeGise, thus a moron I must be.

Unfortunately I have great difficulty with use of 'victim' for the party that was entirely responsible for causing an incident.

I believe anything, including bikes, running red lights is dangerous to anyone they collide with as well as to themselves in such situations.

Trying to bring down some local politicians, you are supporting dangerous safety violations.

[deleted] t1_is9kdkh wrote

[deleted]

aa043 t1_isbhxz1 wrote

I also believe leaving scene of an accident is a mistake but disagree with your opinion: "a minor traffic violation".

Examine the video carefully and try to figure out how any driver can avoid Andrew Black after he passes the car stopped for a red light. He is actually coming from the other side of the road when he passes the car and is moving slightly towards oncoming traffic but is looking away from the oncoming traffic. That must have be a scary moment for anyone just driving normally straight ahead.

Running red light might be minor to you but its suicidal to repeat that stunt.

−1

OkAbbreviations4982 t1_is67xnw wrote

I've yet to see anyone dispute the material facts here. It doesn't change the fact that somebody elected to represent the people of Jersey City left one of those people for dead. That alone disqualifies her for her position, the fact that this incident brought to light other incidents of both bad behavior and special treatment is just icing on a particularly repugnant cake.

fasulo_ t1_is8sejn wrote

You don’t want your council person to commit felony hit and runs?

Blatblatmajigga t1_is69ufh wrote

He wouldn't win a lawsuit, it's his fault.

She should be held accountable for leaving the scene of an accident.

chanceTheCatter t1_is6fgaj wrote

Completely agree. I have seen a few people saying she is at fault for the hit. Thank god the man seems to be alright, but it’s entirely his fault he got hit. That being said I think any reasonable human being would have stopped to make sure the person is alright regardless of fault or the law. That kind of disregard for another human being is awful

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_is6r31b wrote

What's your point? No one thinks that he's a victim except him, and he's clearly an asshole. No attorney is going to take his case. ADG however, is clearly a sociopath who needs to be removed from office.