Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mikevago t1_iujnkfh wrote

I moved out of the Heights about five years ago, after living there for 12. It's a perfectly nice residential neighborhood — a few good restaurants, several nice parks, two good grocery stores that are three blocks apart on the far side of the neighborhood.

And transportation's not terrible — there are shuttle vans every few minutes on JFK and Palisade that go to the PATH, plus the elevator to the light rail (which also goes to the PATH), and lots of city buses going every which way.

But is it worth LUXURY prices? Not really. You've got overpriced modern apartments wedged in between saltbox houses, a few nice places to eat in between fast food and dollar stores. And there's nothing wrong with fast food and dollar stores! But don't expect it to be Brooklyn Heights. Or Prospect Heights. Gentrification has laid its claim, but it still hasn't moved that far from the working-class neighborhood it was 20 years ago.

[deleted] OP t1_iujwn29 wrote

[deleted]

vocabularylessons t1_iuk823i wrote

Oh, trust me. It's changed a lot within the past 5, 10, 20 years. I wouldn't walk through Washington Park in daylight 20 years ago. Now it's white women doing yoga on Sunday mornings and kids in daycare having a sing along on the weekdays. No offense to white people, women, yoga, kids, or daycare but the combination is indicative of a new chapter in the history of the Heights. TBH any testimonials of the Heights from even 5 years ago will be slightly dated.

East of Central Ave is changing the most and most quickly. The restaurant LoFi had a block/street party over the summer, in my estimation the crowd was 80% Brooklyn couples with strollers who bought condos/houses in the Heights within the past 5 years.