Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rbastid t1_iutlif1 wrote

I feel like this is similar to a joke I would tell people, that was 75% truth. I learned far more watching the discovery channel and learning channel (back when the stations were actually about science and learning) as a kid than i did in grade school.

Like you said, today children have many more resources than we had, but instead of parents saying "spend 1 hour watching this educational video" they'll let them play on their phones (all those free chrome books and deeply discounted internet connections for students and low income families have most likely spent minimal time actually educating children.) This actually will help children in the long run too, because they can focus on things that aren't taught in schools, which are more applicable to future careers, as most schools still just teach you whatever book the School Board approved for this year's classes.

Good teachers are a vital resource, but the many bad ones and the million "teacher's aids" aren't. And no parent should want to leave their child to be 100% educated by schools, as you're then not trying to help your child better themselves above their classmates, which means it'll be hard for them to better themselves later in life.