Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chris_NJ t1_ivjs2jz wrote

They are blue claw crabs (the same kind Chesapeake Bay is famous for) so they definitely have culinary value.

SyndicalistCPA t1_ivjxqle wrote

Can you actually eat them though? I would imagine they aren't exactly healthy to eat.

Chris_NJ t1_ivk7tvw wrote

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/outdoors/fish/health_advisories/regional/hudson_river_and_tributaries.htm#table

Here is the advisory and recommendations on how to cook. Everyone evaluates risks differently. I have eaten fish/crabs very sporadically over the years from the Hudson/ NY Bay. I always found it strange while fishing when somebody came by overweight and chain smoking saying they never would eat a fish from the river. Certainly their odds of cancer (if they don't die of heart attack first) would be higher for someone who smokes/has unhealthy lifestyle.

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_ivlsks5 wrote

I eat the migratory fish from the river like fluke, tog and the rare barely keeper striper. They are only here a few months of the year unlike crabs or white perch, and there's really no difference between the fish population in the River/Bay and those in the Sound or Raritan Bay. The striper you catch off of Montauk might have been up the Hudson River just a few days earlier.