Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

imaluckyduckie t1_iydk7cl wrote

If you lost your credit card, it's best to get them reissued with new numbers right away. I wouldn't trust any random person on reddit returning them without thinking they were compromised (no offense, I know this is incredibly well-intentioned)

If you found someone's credit card, best to just destroy them

deathelf11 OP t1_iydmnan wrote

Good point! I also found a few other cards - looks like the contents of someone's pocket so I figured I'd post in case someone was looking. If I don't hear anything in a day or so I'll destroy them.

Ironically I also lost my own credit card last week and have been putting off getting it reissued, hoping it will turn up. Guess I should just bite the bullet :)

imaluckyduckie t1_iydoydc wrote

Yeah. Federal law provides pretty good protections if you report the cards lost before someone tries to use them, but you start to have liability if there's unauthorized use before you report it. This is extra important it if was a debit card vs a credit card.

Either way, hope you earned some good juju for trying to do a good deed.

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_iydttv2 wrote

Yup. No need to find them or reach out. Just do them the favor of destroying the card so it’s just getting a new card/number and not disputing charges. That saves some headache for them.

Keys if they have any kind of supermarket or gym membership tag on them… just drop them in a mailbox. I know more than one person who got them back that way. Super easy.