Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HappyArtichoke7729 t1_ivw35jy wrote

LMAO at the grassy knoll next to it. That will be a 70 floor highrise.

Mindless-Budget9019 t1_ivw43ac wrote

I am looking forward to this museum opening. Anything that adds culture and refinement to Jersey City is a win for me!

FunCandy8149 t1_ivw7nue wrote

Can’t wait to see next years budget for flops vanity project. The best past is a decade later that it will inevitably shut down and more money will be spent to do smt with the building.

−1

jerseycityfrankie t1_ivwd9x0 wrote

I’ve said before we should see if we can get a tiny museum to work FIRST. The Jersey City History Museum is two blocks from this location and is DEAD after it’s (re)opening was announced at the Apple Tree House last year, with no programming and no exhibits of any kind offered, and unfinished highly visible SIMPLE repairs evident on the tiny building’s exterior. It’s the picture of incompetence.

jerseycityfrankie t1_ivwdpwe wrote

....speaking of “a year ago”, the point raised when Pompadue was announced-and it’s cost to the city- was that the city was aparently happy to lavish money on the French museum but wont spend that same kind of dollar amount on getting old school buildings properly HVACed. What is a higher priority?

Ilanaspax t1_ivwg06j wrote

This has aged well lol

−4

keepseeing444 t1_ivwibbv wrote

I agree! It’s called progress, people! It’s not just Pompidou but as a flagship anchor destination along with Loews theatre which will attract more businesses to revamp that commercial district. But city needs to fully monetize this big brand name and likeness by selling memberships, corporate sponsors, solicit developer donations to lessen the tax hit.

VanWorst t1_ivwky6t wrote

A Jersey City history museum and a major art museum have very little in common. No one really cares about Jersey City history outside of Jersey City.

We have plenty of smaller art galleries and they seem to work fine. Pompidou will draw more art snobs to take the PATH to New Jersey.

jerseycityfrankie t1_ivwnke4 wrote

There’s a proven track record of Museum failures in Jersey City is what I’m stating. If they can’t manage a tiny museum what skills do they bring to managing the rollout of a big one?

FelixTaran t1_ivwtcog wrote

The Museum of Jersey City History isn’t dead. Its working on building exhibits and getting grants. It doesn’t have (one assumes) the funding that the Pompidou will have, so give it some time to get going.

jerseycityfrankie t1_ivyhdnv wrote

If you’re standing on this spot wondering when the art gallery will open (maybe never, lol) and you want some art to look at you are in luck! Just 100’ away across Sip Avenue is the terrific Hudson County Community College art gallery: https://www.hccc.edu/community/arts/bdj-dcs-gallery.html take the elevator to the top floor and check out the terrific view from up there and look at an art show.

objectimpermanence t1_ivyr9ly wrote

The difference is that none of those failed museums involved a partnership with a major institution like Pompidou, which actually knows a thing or two about running museums.

The Pompidou Centre in Paris will be completely closed for renovations until 2027. If they lend the JC museum artworks from their collection during that time, that could be a good way to jumpstart interest and attract visitors from around the metro area.

objectimpermanence t1_ivys6y0 wrote

The Board of Education directly controls the schools budget, not the city council or the mayor’s office.

I think the question we should be asking is why the BOE can’t get basic capital projects done despite having the ability to independently raise the school tax levy.

I suspect the answer is that adding HVAC to all the old school buildings would be very expensive (probably way more than what the city will spend on this museum) and that raising school taxes to pay for it is not politically feasible, especially considering the blowback that the BOE has faced from its recent tax increases.

Rube777 t1_ivys860 wrote

The city is seeking bids for someone to estimate the cost of this project?! You’d think the city could do that, this will get expensive quickly

FunCandy8149 t1_iw127fs wrote

The MET the best probably museum in the world is struggling with a 3billion endowment and Pompidou will be attracting the big bucks and art snobs from the Trista year area to support it? I can’t believe what people think. Is it wishful thinking? I do t get it. Is everyone forgetting that only 20min path ride to go to the best museums in the world? And fulop claimed it would be free for Jc residents 🤣

The Fulop administration DONATED the JC art collection to Rutgers because he didn’t give an F**** Pompidou is just for his PR just in time for his gubernatorial campaign.

Ilanaspax t1_iwcxrs9 wrote

I’m sure nothing weird was going on at all when Fulop went to France and never mentioned it pubically and deliberately tried to hide the visit. That’s why you don’t see any photo ops with him and the SPU peacocks when they made it to the elite 8.