Submitted by soymilk129 t3_ys2rb3 in jerseycity

Anyone have info to share about the flood at 485 Marin? I heard it was a burst pipe on the 16th floor. I could hear water pouring down in the electrical room on the 8th floor, pooling water in the hallways on the 5th.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bodhipooh t1_ivxwhlh wrote

Pipe issues in new buildings is a fairly common occurrence. Unfortunately, it is the nature of high rise construction projects. Not every pipe layer and welder has the same skill set or work ethic, and these issues won't surface or present themselves until someone has moved into a unit with a faulty pipe or weld that craps out under use. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say almost every building will experience a pipe issue not long after people first start to move into them. I think what really matters is how responsive is the management company and maintenance team. If an issue comes up, but the building handles it quickly, and effectively, while also taking responsibility, I would cut them some slack. What's really fucked is when a building is having a serious issue but management just shrugs its shoulders and tells you to deal with the consequences on your own. THAT is bullshit.

soymilk129 OP t1_ivxxfx4 wrote

Zero communication past 6pm yesterday because the manager went home for the night. Emergency repair and fire department came over night. 8am still no status or information. If water was in the walls, doesn't that mean a risk of black mold? Not like they're going to open all the walls to check

bodhipooh t1_ivy1kfs wrote

> If water was in the walls, doesn't that mean a risk of black mold? Not like they're going to open all the walls to check

Actually, they *should* do exactly that. When our building had a water pipe burst soon after people started to move in, they did exactly that for the units that could have beeb affected by water. They opened our wall (which was inside a closet) inspected for damaged, then fixed it and had everything back to normal as quickly as possible while being apologetic and grateful for our understanding. I know people in this subreddit love to shit on DVORA (Shuster) but they have always done well by us, and this is an example of such an occasion.

doglywolf t1_ivzc2kn wrote

this is exactly why the "good" buildings have that "maintenance guy" that gets the free or dirt cheap apartment . But too many of them corpo buildings can't sacrifice a precious revenue stream apartment to do that anymore. You show me a building that has the maintenance guy the speaks ESL living for free in the basement for first floor apartment and ill show you a greatly run / maintained building lol.

soymilk129 OP t1_ivy311f wrote

Thanks for this. We fled to a hotel overnight fearing safety over the flooding causing an electrical short. Appreciate the fact check and information!!!

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_ivzlcev wrote

It's not just new buildings. It's all buildings.

Plumbing is under a lot of pressure 24x7x365. Just the tiniest of faults over time will cause eventual failure. It's basically a bathtub curve of risk.

All plumbing will one day fail. Just a question of when. Some roman plumbing is still in use, so it's possible under ideal conditions to last thousands of years. But most domestic plumbing will fail well before that.

So I agree, it's a question on how the building handles it, both in terms of managing repairs, and preventative maintenance. Things like regularly cleaning sewage vents can at least prevent sewage backups. That won't prevent when the water supply leaks. But at least cuts down one risk factor of water damage.

JS_NYC_208 t1_ivxq1ri wrote

Why are the Kushner buildings always the worst ones ???

Successful_Pen_2387 t1_ivxuewo wrote

Seems every second building has had a problem, in general Kushner buildings are pretty well built? Which Kushner too though. :)

katscicluna t1_ivy37so wrote

Is that why everything smells like sulfur this morning?