Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JcpaNYC t1_ivzi17n wrote

Unpopular opinion probably.

But imo lack of quality education stems from lack of accountability.

Are teachers judged based on students performance?

Do most parents care about their students performance. Are they involved enough?

A new building isn’t going to do shit if the students parents and teachers don’t care about their actual ability to learn

glasssa251 OP t1_ivzj2x7 wrote

SGOs exist so that teachers can be assessed on student performance

JcpaNYC t1_ivzq27g wrote

And how is that going?

Also what about my point on parents involvement.

You can build fancy buildings, have a strict sgo process, but if kids grow up in troubled homes or without parent that hold their kids accountable then that doesn’t solve anything.

The problem is much deeper then lack of funding. Throwing money at this solves nothing. Except push out disenfranchised people who can’t afford to live here anymore. Then new/educated families move in. Then test scores go up and we equate it to the funding increase.

That’s not how it works. It’s not a money problem, we’re just making it one

glasssa251 OP t1_ivzqpsy wrote

When it comes to parent involvement, you can only lead a horse to water. I have some parents who are incredible at communication and staying up to date on their child's performance in school, and some who can't be bothered to care. I can't force them to be involved.

Successful_Pen_2387 t1_iw14ef2 wrote

Truth. Inner city schools with populations with high levels of poverty and poor/illegal immigrants are always going to get below average scores. Its pretty difficult to expect otherwise.

DermittCarlson t1_iw1jc9g wrote

Stick to crypto bud, sounds like you gotta read up on pedagogy

JcpaNYC t1_iw2l19b wrote

You seem like an open minded person who can hold productive conversations /s

fxg7942 t1_iwaaeom wrote

He might just be one of those crappy teachers that can't be fired.