Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pitpatpit t1_ivzs6dw wrote

As a teacher what improvements would you suggest? Anything else aside from higher pay?

glasssa251 OP t1_ivztsc5 wrote

Education-wise, I would love for the high schools to do a partnership with a vocational school so students can earn their associates degree while finishing high school. I would also like a stronger foreign language department (more languages offered than the standard of French and spanish). I also want to see more variety in sports and clubs for the kids.

Contract-wise, I would love for this district to offer paternity leave, as well as paid maternity leave. I also wish we had the ability to opt out of health benefits and/or make it cheaper to add a dependent.

pitpatpit t1_ivzudyg wrote

These are all great ideas. How receptive is the administration to teacher input?

glasssa251 OP t1_ivzupia wrote

Not at all unless you've got the money to fund the idea.

leboeufie t1_iw01zta wrote

That's unfortunate to read as some of your suggestions should be standard. I also agree that the pay structure should be one that incentivizes good teachers to want to work here.

The general sentiment I've gathered from the JC Reddit crowd has been disdain toward the Board and the administration, not the teachers. My perspective is that more transparency regarding where the money is going is a good place to start. With a clearer understanding of where every dollar is spent, the hope is that it will be easier to advocate for better allocation of funds. Maybe we can fund some, if not all, of your suggestions.

glasssa251 OP t1_iw02et4 wrote

I really feel for these kids because they truly want these programs. A kid approached me about trying to start a lacrosse team, and I don't even know how we could get the funding we'd need for that. I also used to work in a school where they had a student lounge they kept open until 6 pm for kids that needed a safe place to hang out after school. It was a pretty standard set up...pool table, couple of couches, vending machines, but it was something the kids needed and I wish we had it for our kids, too.