Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mooseLimbsCatLicks t1_iw006ek wrote

I didn’t downvote you I was busy with other things.

Well most school buildings don’t have AC, and many don’t have water fountains still. Many have no play areas. Some are literally crumbling in areas. They are old buildings.

Second , we don’t have enough schools for the amount of kids in jc. It’s a known fact. The physical lack of space means more kids packed into smaller areas and affects the class sizes. More schools = more rooms = better student teacher ratio. This is just to be a normal school district. Kids do classes in “temporary” buildings.

No AC = Kids can’t think well in the heat.

Lack of ventilation and space affected COVID policies and remote learning was extended with that excuse. They couldn’t distance.

The teachers we have are good teachers. The kids who want to learn and have good family support do well. The schools with more families like that do well.

You can’t change inner city social problems, which is a big problem Jersey city has, with money to the schools. I think that if the schools were structurally larger more inviting, comfortable and practical spaces, it would improve kids educations because they would like to be there. Architecture really affects the people inside the building.

Everyone is asking for more programs but where are you gonna have them?