Submitted by jklapow-rsa t3_yu8stx in jerseycity

I'll be moving to Jersey City in June. I'm driving from the west coast and won't be taking any furniture. I plan to buy a couple things but would love to supplement with curb finds. Are there good spots for curb finds or apartment buildings that a lot of furniture is dumped anywhere?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

StoryofTheGhost33 t1_iw87058 wrote

Got a car? Search some higher income towns in Bergen County and what days they do bulk pickup.

I went to Montclair during COVID on a bulk pickup day. As I was picking stuff off people's curbs, people we're coming out of their houses and asking if I wanted to take a look around their garage. Filled a pickup worth of stuff in an hour.

The salvation army near the Holland used to have decent furniture. Unfortunately they closed.

yungtoehair t1_iw9e5d4 wrote

Seconded Montclair on bulky pickup day, it’s amazing what people will just throw out!

Interest_Mindless t1_iw88bgv wrote

A Buy Nothing group exists, but furniture is fairly rare there

pmax2 t1_iw900dg wrote

One word "Bed Bugs". Be careful

WendysFrostyandFries t1_iw83gki wrote

People always leave out furniture and other household things (books, art, utensils, etc) in JC. You could probably furnish your apartment within a couple of weeks if you’re diligent. There’s also Facebook Marketplace. Only thing about FBM is that people are notoriously flaky.

D_Tixi t1_iw8h3i2 wrote

ESTATE SALES!! They're great it's how I got all of my furniture. Sometime they even sell new/barely used stuff and sometimes it's cool retro stuff for real cheap.

D_Tixi t1_iw8hcnt wrote

Also follow stoopingjc and stooping_hoboken on Instagram, I got a free ice maker in pretty good condition.

kushNation141 t1_iw866p4 wrote

next door , craigslist, facebook...

faithremix t1_iw8hal1 wrote

You can take the couch from my storage unit if you want. One of the legs is not secure and I propped it with wood from Home Depot if that doesn’t bother you

hobomom t1_iw8asu8 wrote

If you’re moving into a large building, they generally have resident forums where people try to get rid of stuff.

BadNewsBenjamin t1_iw8mxjs wrote

Someone else also mentioned the Buy Nothing Group, which is awesome. Keep in mind that if you post an “in search of” post with whatever you need, folks might have things they’re willing to gift but hadn’t thought about listing before!

unseenunknown19 t1_iw8qrin wrote

There’s always a lot by the Quinn building and the Maddox buildings on Van Vorst in the Paulus Hook section. But shhh I didn’t say that 😂

jklapow-rsa OP t1_iw9h366 wrote

That's the info I came for. :)

unseenunknown19 t1_iw9hcgs wrote

I work in that building and I always see stuff when I’m leaving work. Today there was a whole ornate 2 piece dining room table. It’s wild. Haha

AccomplishedAd8766 t1_iwa0b2a wrote

Seconding the Montclair Recs and the Buy Nothing Group for Jersey City (you may be able to join a few in Lower Manhattan - Battery Park also has good stuff for pickup and usually more furniture).

Since you have a car the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Wayne specializes in furniture and should be FB-marketplace-esque prices.

um71988 t1_iw9wkea wrote

I’ve posted a lot of nice furniture for free on Nextdoor.

TotoItsCallMtrRacing t1_iwahq8j wrote

There is an instagram page called stooping Hoboken that people will post stuff in or followers will see on the street and report. Many times there are high quality items but they go fast

alcappuccinoh t1_iwck1pq wrote

I have a couch and dining table that I can give to you for dirt cheap. DM me. Also other people said this too, try to avoid curb pickups as the risk for having a bed bug infestation in your house is pretty high

promisingyoungahole t1_iw87ylm wrote

What kind of stuff, I’d be interested

jklapow-rsa OP t1_iw8art6 wrote

Kind of everything. I'll definitely be buying new mattresses but anything else to furnish an apartment, I'll be looking for.

Angrykittie13 t1_iw8rfgy wrote

FB marketplace. I got most of my stuff for less than $200

lawyersbeware t1_iwa5tj0 wrote

Hoboken buy and sell Facebook often has good free things