Submitted by DanTheMan16 t3_yw4iw5 in jerseycity

I just ordered a Tesla but unfortunately my building does not have proper charger infrastructure installed. I reached out to management but they cannot commit to anything at the moment.

There are sooo many Teslas in Bergen-Lafayette and I’m wondering where you guys go to charge. Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

drpuchala t1_iwid4td wrote

Sounds like something you would want to figure out before ordering a Tesla

DanTheMan16 OP t1_iwkz8qz wrote

Thanks for your response. I’ve done my research—I will mix supercharging and level 2 charging scattered around JC. Just wanted to understand how everyone else’s experience is in Bergen-Lafayette specifically.

DavidPuddy666 t1_iwik5yc wrote

Trying hooking it up to the light rail wires and see what happens.

DanTheMan16 OP t1_iwkzjb7 wrote

I’ll give it a shot! If anything goes wrong, I’ll be sure to refer them to you, DavidPuddy666 :)

bodhipooh t1_iwjheve wrote

Do a search in this subreddit... It's been discussed a lot in the past. For Tesla specific chargers, your options are the Urban superchargers (20 stalls, 72 kWh) at the Newport Centre mall or the superchargers (120 kWh) at the parking lot next to The Oakman. Some buildings have Destination Chargers, but those are only accessible/available to people parking in those lots, and Destination Chargers are garbage unless you can afford the extended charging times. If you don't mind driving a little further out, there are V2 supercharging stations in Kearny (8 stalls, up to 150 kWh) at the Wawa, which is in the same shopping area as a decent Walmart and a small Buy Rite, so a great place to grab some basic groceries and/or booze while you charge. Further out, there are several V3 chargers within ~30 minutes of JC.

Generally, we use the Newport Centre mall chargers every other week, which is enough for our regular needs. If I am in need of some groceries, and feel like going to Whole Foods, the one in Weehawken has free Level 2 charging, so I always grab 20-30 miles while shopping. If you don't mind paying the Chargepoint rates, there are several of those charging stations in town. Download the app for rates and availability. If you are heading south of JC, some of the turnpike service areas have Tesla superchargers (V2, so up to 150 kWh).

shanes3t t1_iwjwufn wrote

If I lived in Lafayette, I absolutely would go to that Wawa/ Walmart complex in Kearny provided I didn't have to do it at rush hour.

bodhipooh t1_iwl8eqn wrote

Yes, but not so simple lately. The Kearny Supercharger has grown in popularity with the ever growing Tesla fleet in this area, so it is often really backed up. On Monday, in the middle of the day, I was planning to head there as part of a larger trip to run several errands, but instead opted for Newport because Kearny was showing a long wait. And, that has become a very common occurrence for that location. Overall, the best availability is always at the mall. Yeah, it sucks that you have to pay to access the chargers (the fee is now $4, minus the JC resident discount, if you bother getting your ticket validated) but there are always multiple stalls open for use.

DanTheMan16 OP t1_iwl4o7o wrote

Thanks for your response. I’ve done quite a bit of research on this sub and I’m comfortable with the infrastructure overall in Jersey City. I’ll most likely mix supercharging at Newport with level 2 charging sprinkled in between.

Have you tried charging at liberty science center at all? They have a solar powered setup with about 12 LV2 chargers. A lot of the charge sharing apps are a bit vague when it comes to access though—seems like you have to pay a fee during the day ($7) but charging is free. People also claim they’ve had access at night, but not sure how that works when there’s a ticketing machine upfront.

bodhipooh t1_iwmhas3 wrote

I have never used LSC. But, to be perfectly honest, I would not consider using Level 2 AT ALL, unless it is a charging station where you can conveniently leave your car charging overnight. The most you will get from a Level 2 charger is 22 mi / hr (Chargepoint is actually more like 19 mi / hr) so charging a Tesla could take 10+ hours. It's just not efficient. Especially once you get used to supercharging. The only times I used a Level 2 charger is when I am running an errand and the charger is conveniently located at the same location. So, the free chargers at some Whole Foods locations, or Level 2 chargers in parking lots where I am going to be for a few hours while dining, shopping, etc. Otherwise, I rely entirely on superchargers.

mister_ananas t1_iwjc3bv wrote

Download PlugShare - best app I found with info about all EV chargers in general.

DanTheMan16 OP t1_iwl0qfh wrote

Great tool. Have you tried charging at liberty science center? It’s the closest LV2 charger to me and I’m wondering what that experience is like.

mister_ananas t1_iwlztbp wrote

No never sorry. I'm more in the downtown area so have a few more options.

spinaroundchinaman t1_iwjd1nl wrote

Idk if it’s specifically for teslas, but i think there is a charging station on Garfield ave along Berry lane park by the basketball courts.

attrice t1_iwixkcf wrote

No idea what type of charger a Tesla needs but there’s a couple of ev chargers in front of berry lane park.

ImInTheRoc t1_iwik09v wrote

There’s a charging station over at The Beacon. Else, there’s a supercharger at Newport Mall

Maleficent-Baby-1926 t1_iwtdcn0 wrote

there’s a charging station right next to Extra supermarket by MLK light rail station on Kearney ave