Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Morrigan-27 t1_j0beqy0 wrote

Maybe you can find cheaper than 3k downtown, but the cheaper ones don’t have things like doorstaff so packages don’t get stolen from your doorstep, on-site maintenance, in-unit laundry, dishwasher, a view that isn’t from a basement with burglar bars, etc., so depending on the OP’s definition of “comfortable” will determine what salary they need.

−3

kjrst9 t1_j0c6tpz wrote

Downtown package theft is rare and most buildings have a vestibule for packages. Some people also find no benefit to a door man and some find it intrusive. Also, for those with a vehicle, doorman buildings typically have a garage which is an added cost since they are not allowed to use on-street parking.
As an example, I have a dishwasher, in-unit laundry, 120sf deck, central air, 2nd floor of a 3-unit brownstone and I'm paying a fraction of what you'd pay in a doorman building. And no I didn't lock in my rates during or before covid, I moved in this past spring.

JodyMcAllister t1_j0bol8v wrote

The cheaper ones you've seen, maybe... I live on Newark Ave (btw. Jersey & Barrow), not a luxury apartment, but I have a w/d in unit, central heat & air, lots of space, and a small secure foyer for packages. I pay less than $2k. About a year ago a broker I know was trying to rent a 1BR above the Pet Shop for $1800 (definitely not luxury). But there are deals around, have to look in the right places