Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_j0f2xsj wrote

Ok, you said homemade. I know you didn't mean your home, but here's my goto fast soup.

Go to 99 Ranch and buy 2 60g packs of MAMA brand Shrimp Tom Yum ramen, an onion, eggs, and cilantro (or mint or thai holy basil). Some fish or meat if desired.

While you boil 3 cups of water, slice onions (amount to your taste) as thin as you can, beat 2 eggs, and chop some cilantro. Put water in bowl and swirl it fast with a spoon and then while it's still spinning drizzle in the eggs from the bowl through a fork to make an egg drop soup. Then dump in the sliced onions followed by the noodles and soup packets. Toss in meat if you wish, like roast pork, sliced shrimp, or thinly sliced raw fish, the latter 2 will cook in the hot soup. Top with cilantro when noodles are done. Makes a qt of soup, 1 large or 2 small servings.

Seriously yummy, and about 10 minutes of prep. I put on the water and have the eggs and onions ready by the time it's boiling.

EDIT: saw the shellfish allergy comment, buy a chicken ramen.

jonhuang t1_j0mshf2 wrote

Also at 99 ranch, there are frozen bags of chicken and ginger soup; the whole soup frozen, not concentrate. By the meat section. Very good when you are too sick to make soup.