Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j58s9pt wrote

Good, gtfo. And go elsewhere in NJ where the property taxes are even higher and you'll understand how low they were here in JC vs the rest of the state

−13

moonlitway OP t1_j58v2om wrote

Also just for context, JC sent me a 6k tax bill for Q4 alone (yep just Q4) last year and I’m paying about 12,000 in property tax for just a 1 bed condo, and it’s increasing again. You think this amount is “how low they were in JC” ???

G_Funk_Error t1_j59gpfd wrote

Yes JC has one of the lowest property tax rates in the state.

moonlitway OP t1_j58urf3 wrote

lol if I leave JC due to tax, why would I choose to live elsewhere in NJ? I would just leave NJ.

Also it’s not a good comparison, because the property value of JC is already high. If you apply a 5% tax rate like some of the rest counties to JC, that would be about 30k of tax per year.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j58x543 wrote

Because they were already higher than what JC was paying, so a "5% hike" wasn't necessary. Now JC is paying closer to the rates they are now.

−2

moonlitway OP t1_j58xh47 wrote

I’m saying it’s not reasonable to apply the same rate to JC because JC’s property value is already high. You think 30k property tax would be fair for a 1B condo?

GoHuskies1984 t1_j59yklz wrote

$30K taxes on a 1B condo you say?

I got you

moonlitway OP t1_j5amy8u wrote

What’s the point you are making? The place you linked here is a 3M condo over 1000 sqft in nyc, yet its property tax is about 30k a year. That actually shows the ny property tax is lower than nj, because if you look at the same price of property in nj, the tax will be more than doubled more so around 60k

GoHuskies1984 t1_j5ao0et wrote

Relax. It's a joke.

But are seriously telling us your taxes on a 1B are about to be $30K annually, because something about that isn't right.

moonlitway OP t1_j5aqeuo wrote

it’s not 30k per year. I can’t afford living here if it’s 30k for 1B. It’s 12k but might be increasing again this year.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j58ykga wrote

I think that's your problem for living in LUXURY HOUSING.

−6

moonlitway OP t1_j595k88 wrote

lol my building is by no means luxury. Don’t make false assumptions. the price got inflated during Covid. If you enjoy higher property tax, good for you and I’m sure you’ll be happy as you see tax keeps increasing in the next few years.

Mindless-Budget9019 t1_j59yeq0 wrote

Don’t feed the trolls. They aren’t educated enough to know that the point of taxation is how much money is brought in and not the percentage of property value being taxed.

moonlitway OP t1_j5ao82v wrote

yea they don’t get the point and even begin to claim I live in luxury housing lmao. Luxury buildings have tax abatements and pay lower tax than I do.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j5asldm wrote

I'm fine with it. I'm in a rent-controlled building that I've been living in since the 80s. Y'all can deuce right on out.

PostPostMinimalist t1_j5bcvve wrote

But why should JC property taxes be the same as elsewhere in NJ? That's like saying NJ should lower taxes because in the rest of the country they are lower. JC is quite a different place from the NJ suburbs.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j5ccqk7 wrote

Until we fund public schools differently than based on property taxes, the schools will be massively underfunded compared to the rest of the state. The state was supplying Jersey City with money to make up the difference. That flow is over. I would rather tax the fuck out of every single condo owner, luxury building developer, etc. etc. than underfund our schools

−2

bodhipooh t1_j5eeheh wrote

You are confused. We don’t have a funding problem. We are currently spending just shy of a BILLION dollars to teach 30K students, or about 33K dollars per pupil. That’s the highest in the State, among the highest (if not outright highest) in the nation. So, definitely not a funding proble, but rather a spending problem.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j5fdsuy wrote

You are a mix of both wrong and confused. While there's obviously tons of waste shipped off to every consultant in the books, that's not limited to JC or even NJ. It's obviously bullshit that places waste so much money, but again, that's a feature of everywhere and not limited to education spending, either.

Now as to where you're flat out wrong. All school spending here in NJ goes basically by size of district. Newark is #1 at $1,118,199,359.9. JC is 2, Union City 3, etc. When you have a large district, you have large spending.

Now on a per student basis, here's where JC falls on the lists of education spending. 168th. $27,225 per student. In fairness, we should eliminate the 8 special services ones, which bumps JC up to 160. Even your guess of "about 33k" would put it at 44th in the state (36th without the services ones).

Data here: https://www.nj.gov/education/guide/2022/

bodhipooh t1_j5fvvox wrote

Dude, you are using data that is terribly outdated. Those figures are from FY2021. Not sure if you are purposefully ignoring what has transpired since then, or if you are simply clueless about the dramatic budget increase approved by our BOE last year. When faced with state cuts and a necessary increase in the school levy, they quite literally decided to simultaneously increase the total budget by over 15%. Our current per pupil spending is just shy of 33K. That’s not a guess. That’s a fact.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j5g5wlk wrote

Those are the newest figures as released by the state that google showed to me, as the post was made in 2022. You're WELCOME to post actual data from FY22 from the state that contradicts it. Go for it.

I even addressed the issue that if your statement of $33k per was real, it doesn't mean a fucking thing.

<you>

>about 33K dollars per pupil. That’s the highest in the State, among the highest (if not outright highest) in the nation.

<facts>

>Even your guess of "about 33k" would put it at 44th in the state (36th without the services ones).

bodhipooh t1_j5gv634 wrote

>Those are the newest figures as released by the state that google showed to me, as the post was made in 2022. You're WELCOME to post actual data from FY22 from the state that contradicts it. Go for it.

You have just proved that you are intellectually dishonest if you think that data about our local BOE can only be considered if made available through a state website. The JC BOE budget is public knowledge. That you can't wrap your mind (or accept the fact) that the budget is just shy of 1 BILLION DOLLARS (973 MM to be precise, something that is public knowledge and widely reported all over) and that we only have ~30,000 students is a you problem. Those figures are fact.

DirectorBeneficial48 t1_j5ibjy9 wrote

Hoss, I've said this three times now, it doesn't mean a fucking thing that it's $33k/per. That puts JC as 36th/44th in the state, depending on whether or not you include special districts.

Your entire premise (JeRsEy CiTy PaYs MoRe ThAn AnYwHeRe ElSe) is bullshit.