Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lukasbarton t1_j3dayj8 wrote

I'm a fan of any kind of activity that isn't solely based around eating/drinking as we're severely lacking.

That said, prices seem about 1.5x of what I'd be willing to pay based on what exists on their site. I'll reserve full judgment and decision until there is more clarity on the actual substance of the offerings.

Try Night Intro Class - $75 (I'd give it a go at maybe $50 if it's a few hours long and I walk away with something I've crafted).

Date Night for Two - $150 (same here, maybe $100 and we're in).

Four Week Class - $295 (why am I only saving $5 vs 4x the intro class?)

worldlybedouin t1_j3dkhrp wrote

Kind of thing I think my 8yr old would be interested in but price is a bit steep for a kid who's just looking to play with clay as much as try and learn/make something.

BigAlOof t1_j3e5wxj wrote

i’d be surprised if the 4 week course price doesn’t include a bunch of studio time outside of class, which is probably not free otherwise.

i’m really excited about this! i hope the class schedule will work for me.

Britinnj t1_j3edfb3 wrote

It’ll be interesting to see how their membership and longer classes pan out pricing-wise.

The best lessons in the area currently at the NJNY academy of ceramic arts are well known to be far too expensive and the owner tries to price gouge for every little thing.

The best value membership is Project Studios just on the border with Hoboken, at $150/ month including firing and glaze, 24hr access, which is an absolute steal. I can’t imagine they’ll be able to compete with that, but I’m not sure how many people would be willing to pay significantly more, given PS is a 15-min walk away/ 5 mins by car.

Metallicat7 t1_j3eheg0 wrote

To be fair, the try night cost is pretty much on par with what a try night goes for in NYC ($75-$90 for a 2 hour class).

But I agree that the 4 week class is quite expensive and would just be worth going to a studio in the city instead.

edgertor t1_j3u964u wrote

i also heard that some clay folks spinning off from Artshack in brooklyn will be opening a studio somewhere in jersey city.

edgertor t1_j3u9jwo wrote

i'm still so sad about the cost of NY NJ ACA pretty much tripling or quadrupling since covid.

Frank still runs the cleanest studio with the BEST glaze room and the only cone 10 kilns this side of the Hudson that i've found (any other cone 10 leads--anywhere in NJ? ) but it's basically luxury clay at this point.

Britinnj t1_j3ufjur wrote

Absolutely. And also, when I was there, Henni was teaching, not Frank, and she just wasn’t that great. It feels like a good place to learn fundamentals if you can swing the cash, but then getting studio time elsewhere just to have the ability to practice for more than an hour a week is the way to go.

Acidsparx t1_j3x0i8u wrote

These prices are actually comparable and even cheaper than what you’d get in NYC. As for the person who mentioned the clay studio at Project Studios, it is the best deal around but they don’t offer classes and primarily for people who already have some experience with clay.

Puzzlekitt t1_j5sn0t6 wrote

Usually you wouldn’t go home with it that day, you throw a piece at the class, then they’ll do the firing (usually 2x in the kiln) over the following week (it needs time to dry a bit before firing) and you’d pick it up when completed. I’m excited about this opening but might not be able to afford it. It was kinda similar pricing in the city and brooklyn, and so crowded. My thoughts on the 4week is that you may be throwing a lot more pieces than you would at 4 intro classes and maybe more choice in glazes etc. But who knows, curious to see what they’ll include!