Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fulanita_de_tal t1_j44offq wrote

Ok so hear me out. I’m not originally from Jersey or the Northeast. My native Jersey friends were hyping up Morristown for a long time. I finally went and I was like “this is it?” It was cool but I can’t imagine living there moving from out of state. It felt like just a suburb with a contained Main Street that has some lively bars.

soggywaffle69 t1_j44pmjm wrote

If you’re commuting from Hudson County by car to Madison, be prepared to spend 1.5-2 hours per day sitting in traffic (easily more on bad days). Whatever JC or Hoboken have to offer, you’re not going to benefit from it on weekdays. If it were me, I’d rather sit in the car on weekends with less traffic. Also, keep in mind Morristown has a train to NYC.

fulanita_de_tal t1_j44q3uh wrote

Yeah, I guess that’s fair. A rough commute is ROUGH. I just don’t think it’s what OP is really looking for, and I like the adage of “live where you want to wake up on Saturday morning.”

soggywaffle69 t1_j44tgsu wrote

I never heard that adage, and I didn’t grow up in NJ. If I were 26, single, and childless, I’d have no interest in working in Madison. Given the parameters, JC and Hoboken make no sense.

ffejie t1_j45dkya wrote

This isn't really true. Commuting in a car out of Hudson County isn't nearly as bad as commuting in. There's a ton of local traffic but once you get to the true reverse commute on 78, for instance, it's pretty easy. The way back in can be a bit worse, but is only really bad in December with more people headed into NYC after work.