Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

possums101 t1_j4zratf wrote

We have bus service in the Heights lol. It can be spotty at times but lately it’s been good and they recently improved the schedule for the 119 which is one of the main routes that go through the neighborhood.

North_Emu8686 OP t1_j4zttss wrote

Specifically on bus service, how often do you use it, for what purpose and what time of day? For some the bus stop might be a 5mins walk away, but for others maybe 15 mins depending on where they live. Also, is it better service during the day vs. at night?

Recurringferry t1_j50aolw wrote

There's buses on JFK Blvd, Central Ave, and Palisade Ave. I'm not sure there's any places in the Heights that are a 15 min walk from public transportation.

North_Emu8686 OP t1_j50e51r wrote

Do you have any frustrations with a <15min walk to access the bus line or train? Do you have to wait often or increase your commute time using the bus? Some May desire a shorter commute on the first leg of their travel.

Recurringferry t1_j50ezz1 wrote

When I lived in the Heights, it was a block away from the bus stop on jfk blvd. That was a big appeal for my commute to nyc for work. If I had to walk to Central Ave to catch the bus (10 mins walk) it would have been frustrating.

The rush hour bus (jitney) service on JFK Blvd used to be great (buses every few mins in the mornings), but I haven't lived there since before covid so no idea how it is today.

whatever4545 t1_j505d2x wrote

In the heights, the 119 goes down central ave and stops at basically every street, and on the east side ppl can be quite close to the light rail in hoboken, maybe if someone is deep into the west side, yes its a little far but for the vast majority in the heights, its not a 15 min walk, for me personally, its a 2 min walk at most

North_Emu8686 OP t1_j58ol6t wrote

Would you prefer a more direct means of travel ie. one that does not stop at every street? Some might desire less stops between them and their destination, but don’t have access to that in their neighborhood.

whatever4545 t1_j58owiu wrote

From where im at, middle of the heights/maybe somehwat closer to jsq, it only takes 20 mins to get to port authority, maybe 35 mins max at rush hr so really no reason to complain

possums101 t1_j506yb8 wrote

I don’t use it to commute because I mostly work from home. I do use it to get to and from the city for social outings more then once a week, to go to the gym and sometimes to get around the neighborhood if the weather is bad. I take the bus all times of day depending on what I’m doing. Like the other comment said I’m not so sure anyone in the Heights has to walk 15 minutes to the bus. Besides the 119 there’s a bunch of other routes and stops all over.

The biggest issue I would say is the frequency of buses. During non peak hours the 119 is hourly which can be difficult. Yesterday actually, I was trying to catch the bus to the city around 1 and they just weren’t coming. The NJ Transit app would say a bus is coming at a certain time and then as it got closer to that time the bus vanished from the schedule. It happened twice so I just took a different route to journal square path.

soccbowler t1_j50t7pa wrote

I agree that the app has become increasingly unreliable. I live close enough to central to see the buses as they go by, and yesterday I was looking at the app to see when the next bus would arrive (it said none were scheduled) only to look up and watch the bus go by three minutes later

North_Emu8686 OP t1_j58ob5r wrote

What would you say you value most 1) An app that accurately tracks bus arrival times or 2) a bus service that runs more frequently? To clarify, the app can be accurate and yet the bus service run less frequently. Is it the service, the technology (app) or both that matter most to you?

North_Emu8686 OP t1_j58nxss wrote

Would you say that your preference is to use the bus for travel within Jersey City? Also, using the example you provided about redirecting to JSQ after the bus didn’t arrive, is your preference to use the bus to travel directly into the city and why?

possums101 t1_j58otr7 wrote

Yes I use the bus to get around the city and to NYC. I live a block from Central where the 119 stops on every block so it’s just the easiest means of transportation. I do most of my shopping and errands on Central as well so I mostly walk around unless the weather isn’t great. Taking the path adds another step since I don’t live within walking distance.