Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

H2Omekanic t1_j9b7q24 wrote

It's called "In-House" suspension. Do schools not have this anymore? Do schools not have a dedicated room for this? It worked back in the 90s, add a cop and it would work today.

Edit: For those who never had this, let me explain how it worked. You went to school and reported to (or were sent to) the In-House suspension room. Desks were arraigned around the perimeter of the room right up against the wall and facing the wall. There were office type partitions between the desks. There was no talking or interacting with others and video games were banned. Your teachers were notified of your IHS and could send you class work if necessary. School lunch orders were taken by the attendant and delivered. Three 4 minute bathroom breaks were spread across the school day between periods.

Bada__Ping t1_j9bg6l6 wrote

They have this still but at some schools you basically just sit there doing whatever you want all day

oceansofmyancestors t1_j9cr66w wrote

We called it “internal” or “external” suspension, and the last step was expulsion.

boofin19 t1_j9cxgw6 wrote

Schools dont have the staffing and space.

H2Omekanic t1_j9dogn4 wrote

In Massachusetts? Calling bs on that for most schools.

boofin19 t1_j9mc4g2 wrote

Missed my notification to your reply. I’ve worked in 3 districts in 10 years and have family who teach in eastern MA as well as many friends and colleagues still teaching in the area. Staffing shortages are at all levels. Admin, classroom teachers, and support. We’ve become accustomed to large classroom sizes with fewer teachers. Most classrooms are used throughout the day so there is not space or the people for in house suspension.

UtopianLibrary t1_j9kthqv wrote

This is included in the law. It’s ANY suspension, even the in-school ones, which is why the law is ridiculous.

H2Omekanic t1_j9l08xx wrote

Open letter non-compliance then. If no schools comply there will be no enforcement. Spitting on the sidewalk is against the law in places. Not so much enforced. Ditto tailgating on highway