Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Starrion t1_j9be0mm wrote

So how do you get disruptive kids out of the classroom so the rest of the class can learn?
We already know that our country has a failed mental health system, and a lot of these kids are walking around with untreated mental disorders. How do teachers/administrators deal with kids who can't behave in a classroom setting to avoid having 30 kids who aren't learning?

Pointlesswonder802 t1_j9bt8p7 wrote

Honestly I don’t have a fantastic answer here as much as I wish I did. Better/more effective in school counseling. More direct/personal interaction to figure out where the individuals interest lies or how to redirect that angst or emotion. Earlier intervention to identify the source of an issue before it necessitates suspension. Or even just interacting in a way that says “you don’t want to be here fine but don’t be an asshole and ruin this for everyone else.”

There’s no easy answer unfortunately. That being said, suspensions are proven not to help. So leaning on a broken system to fix a broken system doesn’t make a lot of sense

[deleted] t1_j9bun4e wrote

[deleted]

TeacherGuy1980 t1_j9f4jxl wrote

How do you force schools to be accountable when you yourself cite that there is limited staff and resources? Magic?

[deleted] t1_j9f5jp8 wrote

[deleted]

−1

TeacherGuy1980 t1_j9fdl0a wrote

So what happens when more often than not the funding is not there? All the special ed teachers I know have grueling schedules and gigantic case loads. It is moronic to think it's a lack of will.

[deleted] t1_j9flnna wrote

[deleted]

TeacherGuy1980 t1_j9fs8ji wrote

Administrators, of-course, in many school districts have advocated for larger budgets for years and haven't gotten it. Cities and towns often vote no on the necessary budgets to run these schools. These reserve funds you speak of are paltry compared to what is really needed. Now what? It's easy to make mandates, but no one wants to fund them.

StalePieceOfBread t1_j9bf0b0 wrote

You need to address the root cause of what makes them "disruptive."

Starrion t1_j9bfzs5 wrote

>r

They're teachers. They are not mental health professionals. Some of them may have 90 kids to teach a subject, papers to grade, lesson plans to write, ect.
In a perfect world, they could call the parents and have them deal with it. Or have a guidance counselor to help.
It's 11:05. Johnny just smacked lisann in the back of the head, and is screaming at the top of his lungs. You tell him to stop but he just yells "make me"! This is the fifth time in three weeks that he has done something similar. Now what?

[deleted] t1_j9bv0og wrote

[deleted]

−4

Starrion t1_j9c1e1y wrote

Been through the process? It takes months. Referrals, appointments, and meetings. IF YOU'RE LUCKY. That's IF you have parents willing to participate, IF you have a school system with resources to do the work, and IF you can get the parents to take them to a pediatrician for assessment $$$.
I'm not saying that we need the schools going all Florida and having police yank 5 YOs out in handcuffs. Kids who are having uncontrollable outbursts or are violent need to NOT be returned to the classroom until that's dealt with.
Keep in mind that resources in schools are tight. If a kid has to be removed and kept in the school, there is zero chance they will be in a room by themselves. There simply isn't enough staff. So you are back to the Alternative/daycare model or as it was termed back in the 70's when I was in one, the "Special ed" room.