Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_jadbe4c wrote

[removed]

Alecgator94 t1_jadvvdr wrote

A manhole cover costs $5,000? Someone is making a killing on these

IndiBlueNinja t1_jae04sv wrote

Not even for full custom covers... apparently just art painted onto them. Paint that I'd have to assume is going to wear off in time.

As cool as it is that the town wants to give a nod to them, that doesn't sound too financially reasonable, imo.

HumanChicken t1_jaed09k wrote

That’s a lot of taxpayer money spent on Ninja Turtles that maybe could have gone toward school supplies or food for hungry children.

AnyRound5042 t1_jaeo2my wrote

At least it's not going directly into the pockets of rich people and corporations or the police which is where most of our money goes

Outlawe t1_jaeh21x wrote

The kids will be better served by cool art than whatever 20 grand worth of education and food will do.

−9

link0612 t1_jaedwyt wrote

Manhole covers are pretty tightly regulated in MA ever since a bad one killed somebody. That and the occasional explosions

Alecgator94 t1_jaemcll wrote

Still shouldn't cost that much for some regulated cast iron

ArmlessGeodude t1_jaef1ci wrote

It's about damn time. Thought I was going to have to make a scene at the town hall again.

vickisfamilyvan t1_jadqa9a wrote

I love how the Republican org quoted in the article and their employees are tweeting their quote over and over again like it was some kind of big hilarious gotcha. Cry more, losers.

NoMoLerking t1_jae7jkz wrote

Government money on art? What a waste!

AReluctantEssayist t1_jaegbyn wrote

Cannot help but feel there's a bit of difference.

NoMoLerking t1_jaei4h8 wrote

Now let’s go through the dozens of WPA projects that seem a little silly today.

AReluctantEssayist t1_jaejaym wrote

First of all, this particular WPA project wasn't silly, it was an effort to inform the American public of the poverty in the Midwest brought about by the Dust Bowl and therefore show the importance of the New Deal, which is why it is different from the Jerusalem of hipsters putting the TMNT on a manhole cover.

Second of all, the WPA was an effort to get every able-bodied American to work to revive the faltering American economy which, I reiterate, is quite distinct from a piece of government-sanctioned fanart.

OldWrangler9033 t1_jaenteo wrote

Wasn't that money slated to help the city help pay costs of aiding people during the crisis? Is this true?

smitharc t1_jadbwxa wrote

Cowabunga, dude! Wait, what?

Hoosac_Love t1_jade43a wrote

I remember back some 25 years ago when I lived in that area I'd see the TMNT creators cruising around NoHo in the Rolls Royce's

Potato_Octopi t1_jae0ql1 wrote

That's a cool idea. Good fit for main st.

tbootsbrewing t1_jaeg705 wrote

Manhole covers in Northampton Manhole covers in Northampton Manhole covers in Northampton Are painted like Ninja Turtles

−2