Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8j3034 wrote

You asking for more?

masspromo t1_j8z2amt wrote

Very easy to make a road a toll road now with electronic tolling

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8z2k0h wrote

Ok but why, we are already over taxed. I'm team citizens. Not team government theft.

bostexa OP t1_j8jb6jb wrote

At the moment the burden is mostly on Metro West, Central and Western Mass residents. We can either add tolls to other roads around Boston and use the money to fix our infrastructure and improve public transit, or get rid of the masspike toll

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8jcni3 wrote

Yeah, we have weed revenue, tax revenue, millionaires tax revenue lottery revenue and now sports gambling revenue. Me, personally, am team no more toll roads.

[deleted] t1_j8jd7uh wrote

[deleted]

AnyRound5042 t1_j8jlq28 wrote

I'm 100% more tolls guy. Let the drivers pay for their own wear and tear. You want to save money on tolls then don't drive on the highways. If there's no tolls then I shouldn't have to pay the fare for the T

[deleted] t1_j8jm5j1 wrote

[deleted]

−4

Infamous-Ride4270 t1_j8k2ujv wrote

It’s actually in line with Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and the few other places that have pricing based traffic. Pricing mechanisms used to be a “conservative” value - not sure where the politics flipped

Victor_Korchnoi t1_j8k4rse wrote

I agree it does seem silly to have a toll on one highway but not the others. Though to be fair, there is a toll on the Tobin and the harbor tunnels as well. So it’s not just Metro West, Central Mass, and Western Mass paying tolls.

I don’t hate the idea of tolls. Road maintenance is incredibly expensive. Far less than half of road maintenance is covered by the current gas tax. And I’d much rather the difference come from road users than from the general fund.

Personally, I think I’d rather see a significantly higher gas tax than tolls because it is easier to collect and doesn’t have any privacy issues. But people piss & moan when the idea of the gas tax being raised to cover maintenance is brought up. So I guess, let’s keep the status quo.

bobmcrobber t1_j8l473b wrote

I honestly don't mind paying tolls. I live in Bellingham, and it costs about $2 one way to use I-90 from 495 to downtown Boston. There's always Route 9 or I-95/93 as toll free routes for me

BovaDesnuts t1_j8n10qk wrote

This is not a mistake. 2/3rds of people in the state live in the Boston metro and would rather kill everyone in WMA than pay taxes. Daniel Shays was right.