Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CausticOptimist t1_jeb4ai0 wrote

I used to run on this trail in western ma that went around a reservoir up against a rocky mountainside, their absolute favorite hangout. There was at least one person that got bitten and had to be airlifted to Boston.

I asked an EMT once what I should do if I got bit on the far side of the reservoir, about two miles from the nearest ambulance accessible area. Like I was curious to know if trying to walk closer to civilization would spread the poison faster or if I should just lie still and wait.

He told me the best thing to do in this situation is capture the snake which seems like the very last thing on earth I’m going to be inclined to do. Sure buddy, I’ll just grab a poisonous snake by the face and hold onto it for 30 minutes

wiserTyou t1_jebuk4q wrote

Really though, you should keep your heart rate as low as possible and cover the bite with a clean bandage. It takes a lot of antivenin for a timber rattlesnake bites and many hospitals don't have it because it's expensive and expires. Realistically if you're far from help and also far from a hospital, you could end up in a very bad situation.

Fortunately, timber rattlesnakes are not very aggressive and prefer to leave. They're ambush predators so be careful around bush and fallen logs you have to step over. Make noise while hiking,they'll likely leave and you will never know they were there. Copperheads prefer to hang out on sunny rocky areas, be careful climbing rocks.