Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HeyaShinyObject t1_jbfo4yc wrote

Reply to comment by PakkyT in Green crab license by mikere

Invasive means they were taking over habitat from non native species. Don't think it has anything to do with whether they are edible.

PakkyT t1_jbg1oos wrote

Understood, but if you look at the MA Division of Marine Fisheries pages they refer to them as "inedible invasive species" on one document I looked at and on another talk about "other edible crabs" then after it invasive crabs, kind of implying again that they do not consider them a food animal so not regulated under the same permitting as you get for lobsters and blue crabs.

HeyaShinyObject t1_jbg6tdn wrote

I see. I was just highlighting that "inedible" and "invasive" are two different adjectives. They both apply here, but that may not always be the case.

PakkyT t1_jbgiyi1 wrote

Except green crabs are edible. Which is why it is all very confusing. It is like the Division says if not native then not edible and "lalalalalalalala" with fingers stuck in their ears.

Even the MA general law about taking green crabs say the only thing you do with them is either destroy them or use them as bait. No other uses are mentioned, let alone consumption.