Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mattgm1995 t1_jdwr6vh wrote

Totally makes sense. Why would someone want to trade a 2.5% mortgage for a 7% mortgage?

[deleted] OP t1_jdwt8hi wrote

According to housing bubble doomers, the high mortgage rates were going to tank the housing market. A massive recession was going to cause everyone to be laid off and there would be a flood of inventory. Turns out supply was destroyed more quickly than demand, and there's a lot of robust earners in this state that can still comfortably purchase homes despite current rates.

mattgm1995 t1_jdwwvy8 wrote

For context my wife and I are $180k in HHI and we can’t afford a home where we want. 3 beds and 2 baths are $450k +. It’s insane

[deleted] OP t1_jdwzg7v wrote

Your main issue is that you're trying to buy a home that's 2.5x your income, that's pretty conservative. A lot of people do 4-5x, whatever the max the bank will loan them. So in some cases you're losing houses to people who make less money but willing to spend more on the mortgage. I'm not telling you to spend more than you're comfortable with, just putting into perspective what some people around here will do to get a home.

$450k is entry-level now, it's actually the most competitive market segment due to high demand from first time buyers, but also extremely low supply (people with low mortgage rates are stuck in their starter homes and can't move up without incurring a massively bigger payment).

mattgm1995 t1_jdxaauv wrote

I don’t think the fact that I’m not willing to overextend and jeopardize my retirement savings is the issue… supply is the issue.

[deleted] OP t1_jdxcxqe wrote

Even the old “boomer rule” of 28/36 resulted in spending a little over 3x household income on a home. So yes you’re thinking quite conservatively. Not a bad thing, but it’s not going to get you anywhere in today’s housing market. I don’t realistically see a path forward to increasing supply in Greater Boston.

DrNostrand t1_jdzkos1 wrote

this is the way, make sure the home checks some boxes for when you go to sell "decent schools,close to commuter roads/rails, decent garage" and youll make your money back.

UltravioletClearance t1_jdxy280 wrote

Out of everyone I know who bought a home in the past 30 years, almost all of them purchased more than they could afford according to dated "rules of thumb." The dirty little secret is you either need to be filthy rich or "house poor" to own in this state. It's been that way for many years.

whoeve t1_jdx02z8 wrote

Even in the places I don't want I still can't afford a home without it needing lots of work. Houses are just straight up 50% more expensive compared to pre-pandemic. My income certainly ain't up by that amount.

Hottakesincoming t1_jdxier9 wrote

It really depends on the area. Sale prices on houses in my admittedly less desirable neighborhood are only up 20%, maybe 25% from 2019, but that's not actually far off from inflation. It's mortgage rates that have really raised the cost of owning a home, combined with inflation way outpacing salaries.

aime10123 t1_jdypstk wrote

Where are you looking? 3 beds 2 bath is closer to 600k where I'm looking

amos106 t1_jdy1qaw wrote

So is the recession over? It was only like 2 weeks ago that a major bank in the tech industry went belly up and had to be bailed out. Said bank was bailed out because it was used by many startups (including local ones) for payroll. More companies are announcing layoffs too. Lots of conditions in the market are changing at the same time and it will take a bit for the dust to settle.

Outrageous_Map3458 t1_jdxi9x3 wrote

Because people get forced to sell eventually. Divorce, death or moving for a job.

−1

[deleted] OP t1_jdxl6fd wrote

That's the level of inventory you're seeing on the market now. Ain't much.