Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MrRileyJr t1_itq25vm wrote

That is not at all what I'm saying, but if that's what you want to believe then go ahead. I feel like not enough people are considering the problems with having so many people in a small area, when there is PLENTY of land to the west not being developed or lived in.

The Eastern part of the state is absolutely saturated with people, the west not so much. We need to start spreading out more, and it's embarrassing a state as smart as this can't see that.

charons-voyage t1_itqifi4 wrote

High speed electrified rail connecting the boonies to Boston would be so good for this. Imagine a 90 min train ride from the Berkshires to downtown. It would definitely stabilize housing costs in the region, though prices in “cheap” areas may go up and “expensive” areas may go down.

MrRileyJr t1_itqv084 wrote

This is one of the reasons I always bring this up. Expanding westward would provide a lot of benefits, and also push for innovations like high speed rail to happen (we all know the state won't do it unless pressured).

big_whistler t1_itww5ag wrote

You make a good point. MA is too small to be ignoring so much of it.

MrRileyJr t1_itx01el wrote

By size Massachusetts is the 45th largest state. We're ignoring far too much of a very small state, while being both very comfortable and somehow encouraging of that.