Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

newestJourney t1_is0v6ow wrote

Happy to say this will be part of a long planned rail trail soon!

Landonastar42 t1_is12gc0 wrote

Masscentralrailtrail.org has all the latest news on construction of the rail trail.

2tuna2furious t1_is1qesk wrote

They need to connect all the rail trails into one big MA bike superhighway

Landonastar42 t1_is1zh73 wrote

They're trying, or some close approximation there of. I know they're working on the east/west bit. I spent a chunk of the winter doing prep work on a few sections in the middle of the state with East Quabbin Valley Land Trust. There is an interactive map on the site where you can watch the progress.

This is the feasibility that MASSDOT did a while back. There are some sections that are already done, and some sections that are going to be an issue, either because the land is now privately owned, or it was developed and now they need to do a work around. It will be a few years, but we'll hopefully get there soon!

https://www.mass.gov/lists/mass-central-rail-trail-feasibility

Funkybeatzzz t1_is0go7k wrote

Where in Clinton? I live in West Boylston and haven’t heard about this and would like to check it out.

Dtoppy OP t1_is0h6is wrote

Matter1234 t1_is12dku wrote

how did you get down there?? usually we enter off of rt 70 on the other end

Dtoppy OP t1_is1bmvr wrote

I just happened to be in the area for work. I noticed it from the road, pulled over and hopped down. I was wearing waterproof boots which turned out to be very useful for going in on that side.

I'd recommend people go from the rt. 70 side like you said though. Not sure if the neighborhood appreciates people parking and entering from the east side as much.

Alphatron1 t1_is3017t wrote

It’s cool seeing the old pictures of the bridge and standing up where it started on the hill. Girl friends dad has stories about how they would try to climb the dam or cross the dam on the face of it.

[deleted] t1_is23344 wrote

[deleted]

Funkybeatzzz t1_is23fow wrote

Thanks! I can picture this easily so should be a snap to find. I almost bought a house right there but went for West Boylston instead

abaconsandwich t1_is3g54p wrote

As you go down the hill from the dam into clinton it’s about halfway down on the right on the hill

Thegreatonereborn t1_is1l628 wrote

Might as well go see Rutland prison camp while you’re at it

_memes_of_production t1_is1cixe wrote

I haven't been in there in at least a decade, great shot! Did you go all the way down to the rt 62/70 "finished" side?

Dtoppy OP t1_is1e8sd wrote

Thanks! I went in from the other side, but I recommend people enter from the rt. 62/70 side. Sounds like it's easier access from there.

Edit: Yes, I did walk all the way through. I really liked the look of the jagged rock walls, I hope they keep it that way when they make it a rail trail.

_memes_of_production t1_is1f0hs wrote

It's definitely easier to get in from the main road, if you don't mind scrambling up a small hill. However, every time without fail, we'd come down to a cruiser parked right behind our car waiting for us to explain ourselves 😂

Sorry officer, just ghost hunting.

Dtoppy OP t1_is1fsyx wrote

Lol, I saw that they mentioned paranormal stuff in the article I linked. I didn't even think of that when I was in there. Of course, I was there in the middle of a beautiful fall afternoon.

Good to know police keep an eye on that location.

Desperate-Crab-4626 t1_is57c12 wrote

Is this the one by the dam? I’ve been in there! The childhood challenge was to walk through without a flashlight. Which, in all honesty, is much more preferable because if you’ve ever been in there with a light on, and to see all of the creepy pictures/drawings that are spray painted on the walls will surely give you nightmares! ☠️

ManWithTheCats t1_is0oajv wrote

Did you see Pinky and The Brain in there?

DrBlueslime t1_is1gi8f wrote

I like right down the road from here and I have never actually seen it. It's nice to know what it looks like

Thick_Broker6931 t1_is1gpqq wrote

It's too creepy to walk inside the ominous cave. But I still adored the exploration of the railway project.

bootboard t1_is23f5z wrote

There's a point where the rock stops on the ceiling and it just opens into a massive cavernous ceiling, that was super eery. We used to go in as kids to try and scare each other but that was always a little much

bostondev9159 t1_is14m1b wrote

I would love to brick it up and make a house out of it.

Alphatron1 t1_is2zs91 wrote

I live across the dam from this and I’m from Lancaster. Still have never been in there.

abaconsandwich t1_is3frea wrote

Drive by it all the time but have never gone in there

Willis050 t1_is3w8ic wrote

I love that place. I especially love the one graffiti that says “bill clinton fucks toddlers” always makes me laugh

S3R3MRAK3R t1_is4pgu3 wrote

Look out for the ghost train!

AutofilledSupport t1_is1nxq2 wrote

I set up two large gates on either end of the tunnel last year so people would stop going in, but the kids tore them down anyway.

−1