Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

panpan_the_good_bear t1_it7rm6k wrote

I think there is a clear distinction between a Halloween store, a fully decked out house with the music and the full decor, cobwebs, spiders, and other additional context is different than seeing a child-sized body hanging in a bunch of trees at a crosswalk used by children and no other contextual-building devices such as a Grandfather clock, Max's friends, Vecna, anything to say this is a character from that RIDICULOUSLY popular Netflix show, NOT a dead child. I think that is very reasonable.

That context may not be necessary for people who aren't immediately effected by what they see, for example the top comments mentioning how, upon closer inspection, they realized it was likely meant to be Max. It took time, time that people suffering loss or other traumas don't have, they'd see the body and instantly be brought back to their loved one with all of the feelings and pain at once. Building the context gives their mind time to say "Oh neat! Halloween decorations! Oh that must be from Stranger Things?... Not my jam, but I'm glad others are having fun." Rather than "Oh God! Is that child okay?!?" Which would be a sign of on-going awareness for dangers, parents, care-givers, doctors, teachers, crossing guards, etc. who are in charge of child safety, or be pushed back into old trauma.

If you saw a squished body on the pavement outside of a skyscraper with no context would that be a Halloween decoration or a tragedy? Context is KEY!

Maddcapp t1_it7x8b9 wrote

You changed my mind. I agree with you there should be more context. If at first sight a passerby is shocked and worried if there is a kid who needs help, that's a problem. Thanks for the feedback I understand your point now. Thanks : )

panpan_the_good_bear t1_it7ynyx wrote

I wasn't expecting that at all, but great! I'm glad. I think being reasonable is the first step and so I always try to go into these just explaining why I, or someone I know intimately, would find this unpleasant and work from there. I'm not trying to ruin Halloween, I promise, or take anything away, just explain why it's not great. We can always improve and make more elaborate displays 🙂

Tldr; My solution: MORE HALLOWEEN DECORATIONS Lol.

Maddcapp t1_it8asu1 wrote

Haha. Yeah this is what really got me:
If you saw a squished body on the pavement outside of a skyscraper with no context would that be a Halloween decoration or a tragedy? Context is KEY!

I always say context is key, so you gave me a dose of my own medicine. Many thanks! And happy Halloween!