Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UncleCustard t1_iunh7vq wrote

It's always weird to me that you have to buy a product to be a member of this state. Or pay a fine. Which you can't afford, cuz if you could. You'd get health insurance.

stoplightrave t1_iunj6k4 wrote

The fine is half the cost of the cheapest plan, so in theory someone could afford the fine but not the plan. And the fine drops to $0 if your income is low enough.

I agree it's a pretty terrible system though, IMO the state should cover a basic plan for everyone, and if people want a fancier one, they can pay the difference.

UncleCustard t1_iunz9jk wrote

It's insane. If the fine is $100 and the plan is $200 (just using easy numbers), than give me a plan that has half the coverage. Maybe a catastrophic only coverage plan. Give me something more than a way for the state to make money off those who didn't buy a product.

Codspear t1_iuo5o2n wrote

You can easily get around the fine by checking the religious exemption box. That’s what I and plenty of other people did.

stoplightrave t1_iuou0lb wrote

I believe that's what the cheapest option usually is. As for making money, the fines go towards the subsidized plans for lower income. So the state's not exactly making money off of it, but they're still basically taking money from poor people to pay other poor people.

[deleted] t1_iunk0ql wrote

and it such a heavy fine. maybe offer better plans before penalizing people dang

rob6748 OP t1_iuniv7n wrote

I know. It's absurd.

Weenie_Hut_Jr_ t1_iuocnzz wrote

If you decide to forego insurance, check the religious exemption box to avoid that silly fine

−2

SharpCookie232 t1_iup371j wrote

The fine has to be large enough to compel you to buy the insurance. If it was a token fine, you'd just blow it off.

UncleCustard t1_iup7yev wrote

Compel? Or push you to do something by harming you financially?

−1

SharpCookie232 t1_iupp273 wrote

Compelling is pushing someone to do something. They don't want uninsured people because when they have accidents or whatever and end up in hospitals it costs everyone else.

HelloMalt t1_iup3qn2 wrote

yeah it's fucked that the capitalists have tied healthcare to employment.

warlocc_ t1_iunncyx wrote

Back when they were the mafia, it was extortion and a federal crime.

Now that they're in politics, it's "state healthcare".

−6