Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RealtorInMA t1_ivpwxhw wrote

My opinion, this "socially liberal" position was only ever a red herring. Like, oh I want all people to thrive, but I also want to withhold resources from those who most need them.

Simon_Jester88 t1_ivpy8w3 wrote

I'd call the resources part much more of a fiscal issue.

Wasn't that long ago that even some Democrats didn't fully support gay marriage. Used to be only Libertarians fully advocating for it.

Really don't get your use of "red herring" in this context.

−1

RealtorInMA t1_ivpyssv wrote

Red herring because I think this framing is deliberately misleading. Trying to get good person brownie points without doing anything good. "I don't hate poor people, but I'm also happy to watch them die for a tiny tax break."

Simon_Jester88 t1_ivq29yx wrote

Think you're kinda painting them as cartoon villains. A lot of Libertarians are just wary of government spending programs. Look at how much PPP was abused by corporations. Look at how many false unemployment claims were made during all of COVID. Our solution for fixing the T has been "throw more money at it with little oversight" and look how that's going.

Still don't know what you're talking about as misleading. William Weld was advocating for gay marriage while the likes of Clinton and Obama were to afraid to take a position on it. Democrats (some, not all, it's a big party) seem to only take up social issues such as drug reform and LGBT issues when its convenient for them.

I don't see a problem with being skeptical of where and to what degree the government should be involved in your life. It's the nuts who worship guns and think that things like roads should be ran by corporations though that have kinda turned me off of the party.

RealtorInMA t1_ivq4dpi wrote

Yeah and you won't find me cheering for those types of democrats either. More of that party's electeds are trash than not, but there's not a party with a lower trash ratio, so I'm registered Dem. Doesn't mean I think it's a good party, just think the others are worse. I absolutely agree that we all need to scrutinize government spending, but there is a huge difference in approaching problems from a standpoint of, how can we improve the outcomes from government spending versus, how can we end government spending. Edit to add: also there has been a very clear libertarian to fascist pipeline in place for at least the last decade (most well known example is crying nazi Christopher Cantwell, but it's a common trend), so I think there's a case to be made that "social liberalism" isn't as crucial a component of the movement as they paint it as.

Simon_Jester88 t1_ivq4s1t wrote

Well put

RealtorInMA t1_ivq515d wrote

TY and apologies for adding an edit you may not agree with as you were complimenting the rest of my post. =)

Simon_Jester88 t1_ivq5xgn wrote

No worries, you're right on point. The amount of alt-right/Libertarian muddling that has been going on is both confusing and concerning.