Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Cost_Additional t1_ix1tada wrote

Not maybe nuclear. It's should be definitely nuclear.

wwoliver04 t1_ix29sis wrote

Came here to say exactly this. If we’re actually serious about going carbon neutral in time then we have to get over our fear of nuclear

iamspartacus5339 t1_ix3e99b wrote

Yes. I won’t take any climate proposal seriously unless nuclear is involved.

wittgensteins-boat t1_ix697uf wrote

It takes big capital and 20 years to build a nuclear plant.

Few US utilities are willing to take the risk any longer.

−2

wwoliver04 t1_ix6gqbl wrote

More like 5 - 7 years, literally took 1 google search

And we could easily fund those new plants with just a portion of the amount of capital going into new LNG projects. If we wait for utility companies to do the right thing then it will never happen. LNG delivers their shareholders profit much faster, hence the heavy investment

wittgensteins-boat t1_ix6i1rh wrote

You left off the.

• planning and system power demand regime trend planning,
  • site research and aquisition,
  • engaging with an overall contract. with a design engineering construction consortium,
  • developing a site specific design,
  • and nuclear plant design and operating licensing.
  • and environmental impact research and report,
  • and other water and govermental permits and regulatory processes,
  • and bonds for financing,
  • overall, of 10 years.

Construction occurs after all of these activities have alignment.

To build a house you need a construction permit and other permits, acquisition of a site, and a capable construction entity, materials acquisition and financing, and that is before the land is first dug up.

wwoliver04 t1_ix7ot0g wrote

Yes, I’m fully aware of all the complexities regarding planning and licensing. My point was that it doesn’t take 20 years to build. And it definitely doesn’t mean we should rule it out as a viable option. These things can be fast tracked if the government changed regulations to incentivize faster construction. I’m not saying nuclear is the perfect solution but it’s a hell of a lot better than continuing to dump cash into new fossil fuel plants

wittgensteins-boat t1_ix7s4f7 wrote

Let me know how it goes, starting construction tomorrow on your seven year plan

−2

PHD_Memer t1_ix5zq6w wrote

Massachusetts is looking to Nuclear as a possibility, however I believe the preferred and more cost effective production method is wind, if wind turns out to be less realistic w/ overall production and battery storage then it has nuclear as plan B