Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

7573 t1_j1l375v wrote

Well, if you are on SNAP then you are eligible for heat and eat. As for utility shut off, it was provided below that this cannot happen when you need to heat. Here is the LIHEAP program link.

https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-home-heating-and-energy-assistance

Note that not all food banks are FDA standard application, and the food bank is not SNAP, so you won't be able to pick up food at one and plead they were qualified for the heat and eat program like many people we had apply try. To qualify for LIHEAP it must be SNAP.

On another note - I'm not one to judge and everyone needs to blow off steam but you just dropped a ton of money on a (quite nice) tattoo and weed to make weed butter according to your post history. Every year the state added additional cash to the heat program when I worked for it, and we at times had to reach out to other orgs to help the indigent with home repairs, etc that weren't publicly covered to keep people warm.

Money was extremely tight at the end of cold years, and several of our non-profit partners were covering your heating costs with their own money earmarked for other services. If you apply for theses programs, I beg you to remember that every dollar you spend on something else and taken from LIHEAP is hard fought by those organizations - they are stretched thin every year to try and keep as many people in tough financial conditions warm as possible.

nayrcire OP t1_j1m83a5 wrote

Thanks for the response, you’re definitely right to a degree, but I start a decent paying job tomorrow and plan to pay this down pretty soon. The tattoo was cheap and the weed was 6 months ago, and I didn’t even end up paying for it, I got it from my boss, but fair points! Believe it or not I haven’t applied for any assistance like SNAP or utilities programs because I believe there are people who need it more than I do. That being said, just curious on whether or not I need to come up with $300 for a minimum payment within the next 48 hours. It seems as though they will not shut me off so I think I’m gonna hope for the best and not pay it yet.

7573 t1_j1mq1ql wrote

Congrats on the new gig! Sorry for not knowing how long ago that was, I just peaked because having worked in the field sometimes people post things (like what city they're in) which helps.

If I was in your boat I would call and offer anything, even fifty bucks. But yeah, for the moment shut offs are suspended so you're good.

Good luck on the next gig!!!

bubalusarnee t1_j1m322e wrote

I don't think they're ready to hear it, yet. Don't you wish humility came more naturally to more of our neighbors? Thank you for your thoughtful response!