Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BlueJay_NE t1_j28ky4x wrote

Hopefully, they were MAGAts fleeing to the fascist utopias of either Texas or Florida.

Past-Adhesiveness150 t1_j28ujyc wrote

They weren't. They're mostly well paid white collars that can now work from home/mobile thanks to covid. They got out of the city & burbs & moved to much more less populated/ rural areas.

My plan was to build in NH, till prices doubled. But we're back on track this spring.

jp_jellyroll t1_j298pn5 wrote

Even among the WFH crowd, not everyone wants to live in a quiet rural area. Moving is expensive & tiresome. My company went fully remote in 2020 and of the ~40 in my office, only a few moved far away.

My wife & I strongly considered moving to western MA, NH, or even ME. But we had our first child and the schools in those areas are... not so hot. There's no money in a small rural town. And we're a non-white mixed-race couple, so there's another kicker. We're staying in the 'burbs.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j29e5uy wrote

And for those without kids or are single? Plenty of people did the "saving good money with nothing to do sociallly" thing in 2020 and would've called that hell.

Inflamed_toe t1_j29v4n3 wrote

Absolutely. We don’t have kids and as soon as my company went remote we moved to the mountains. My cost of living has basically been cut in half leaving the Boston area, it has been fantastic

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j29drvn wrote

I'm sure that's part of it but I think it's easy to forget that a large chunk of the workforce in position to do working from home don't particularly want to live in a rural area. Young adults, especially those without children, would consider that to be hell.