Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

paganlobster t1_j6ngpmc wrote

They "strike" all the time by sitting on their asses anytime something doesn't go their way. Strangely, society does not collapse when this happens.

spiked_macaroon t1_j6o78f6 wrote

I mean Jesus, look what they do whenever a locality tries to implement civilian construction flaggers.

jp_jellyroll t1_j6ni4h2 wrote

Yeah yeah... cops suck, fuck cops, I hate cops, ACAB, we don't need cops. I get it. I don't like cops either.

But I also live in reality where police are still part of the equation. The kid who robbed me at gunpoint while I was coming out of the laundromat didn't care about politics. He only cared that police foot patrols were cut back so there weren't cops literally walking the block anymore. Easy money.

−23

oneMadRssn t1_j6nle5y wrote

I would dispute whether the cops we have would actually help in the situation you describe. Thanks to the Supreme Court, we already know that cops don't have a duty to intervene or save you during a crime. If anything, a cop being there might have caused the kid to pull the trigger sooner. The better way to prevent that kid from robbing you is ensuring he has a job available that provides him with better income and benefits than going around robbing people, and strengthening public unions is one small piece of doing that.

Back to the topic at hand, I think there is a middle ground available. I'd say public unions can only strike during contract negotiations and only after their current contract has expired. They shouldn't be able to strike mid-contract absent some very exigent circumstances.

spg1611 t1_j6ntyvp wrote

I love how used this Supreme Court case is. They literally go to their calls lol

−11

OakenGreen t1_j6nqaqu wrote

I also live in reality and cops love to “silent strike” and leave those gaps wide open while striking is illegal. It doesn’t matter at all to them.

IntelligentMeal40 t1_j6nuav0 wrote

Strung out drug addicts who rob you at gunpoint are going to do that even if the cops are around the corner. And the cops aren’t going to do anything about it because they don’t have to.

5teerPike t1_j6nwewe wrote

That is why people say things like acab too.

paganlobster t1_j6ok7fs wrote

Cops don't prevent crime. Plenty of studies have proven that. The only thing that actually reduces crime is reducing poverty and making something other than the dumb fucking societal choices we keep making that probably lead to that kid trying to take your shit.