Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

frankybling t1_j5usfo0 wrote

I feel like the words “traffic violence” is meant to (probably correctly) insight some reaction. On the face these were crashes that killed people violently… but saying “traffic violence” implies that these were intentional events… you can make the argument that the hit and run and the DUI deaths were intentional but that accounts for half. People need to pay attention while driving and since we’re in a world where automobiles and trucks exist they need to pay attention while walking and biking too. I walk a lot in my small neighborhood and people drive like idiots. If the intent is to write in a way to anger people into paying attention there might be a better way to convey the message I guess thats my point. I don’t believe in traffic accidents but I think calling it traffic violence is too extreme. Again just my opinion.

Divic0 t1_j5vgly9 wrote

While I agree that the headline is certainly attention grabbing - I do not care for the reasons about distracted driving. You can be drunk, high, texting, speeding, jacking off, doesn’t matter. The result, a dead pedestrian, is still the same. We should be punishing every single distracted driver the same way.

AnyRound5042 t1_j5w0bwz wrote

Nah. By getting bring the wheel you are taking responsibility in the same way that putting your finger on the trigger of a gun you are taking responsibility. If you brought a gun into a crowded space closed your eyes and just started popping off you wouldn't call it a 'gun accident' why should we kill it a car accident?