Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ipalush89 t1_j5hhe0v wrote

Seal windows find a mass save contractor to go through the house and see what they recommend and imo pellet stoves are the easiest and cheapest way to tackle our weather it only really cold for 2-3 months and the stove takes the edge off it still costs money to run but has lowered our bills for heating overall heat pump suck once it get sub 30-20 I’ve installed a few for people…I would go gas but none on the street so oil for me as well a new boiler if you have an old one could have a good rebate through mass save

haitiandev OP t1_j5hjyak wrote

u/ipalush89 thank you for your input. Pellets stove were suggested to me as an option as well. I have to mention that the lower level of the house has a fireplace that I never used.

When I was discussing about the pellet stove with other relatives, it was suggested as a good option because the lower level of the house is an open place which will facilitate the distribution of heat at that level.

Illustrious-Mix9904 t1_j5hpeke wrote

If you are not using the fireplace, seal it! It makes such a big difference with drafts. Borrow a temp sensor from your public library and check for cold spots. You are most certainly losing heat somewhere. Good luck and hope everything goes well!

haitiandev OP t1_j5hq8e7 wrote

That is great input. The fireplace is not sealed. I recently brought a thermometer that is a temp sensor option. That is something I can start with for sure. Thank you for your input.

Illustrious-Mix9904 t1_j5hsqe5 wrote

Get some insulation board and tighly seal it. It is an easy DIY project. Check around windows and doors and make sure you get some of the trim that goes around the doors and windows to let them close completely.

Our home is new and has blown in insulation, but the unused fireplace was causing at least a 20 degree temp difference despite the damper being closed.