Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

haitiandev OP t1_j5hkh6g wrote

u/Linux-Is-Best thank you for this information. I think I should drop the solar option as it has too many complications. Great input though!

Linux-Is-Best t1_j5hojxx wrote

> u/Linux-Is-Best thank you for this information. I think I should drop the solar option as it has too many complications. Great input though!

Buying solar panels isn't complicated. The complication comes when you lease them. Although, the upfront cost is a bit more when buying, and that sometimes does discourage folks. However, the long-term savings and the added value to your home are worth it.

langjie t1_j5kzlop wrote

+1. go to energysage to get more local quotes. buy and don't lease. ask for cash prices for apples to apples comparisons

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j5hzy4y wrote

Unless they break my roof?

Linux-Is-Best t1_j5i2qes wrote

> Unless they break my roof?

Nope, not even then. Many insurance companies seem to right off any responsibility if you lease solar panels. That said, even if installed correctly, should you experience normal wear or weather-related damage, they seem to still stiff the consumer if you happen to be leasing panels. The reasoning is that it's not your property that is associated, so they expect the company you are leasing to handle it. But many of those leased companies have a clause waving responsibility. Some people have tried fighting such things, but you're talking about lots of legal costs and time in the process.