Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

trevor12121212 t1_j68nl4c wrote

What makes them good people?

amackenz2048 t1_j68rb9u wrote

Turns out people are complex and don't always make just good or bad decisions. Seems that our impulse to categorize people into simple buckets is flawed.

trevor12121212 t1_j68rmpb wrote

Agreed I was just wondering why the previous person automatically categorized these representatives as good people with misguided ideas as opposed to politicians following lobbying dollars

Appropriate-XBL t1_j68t8cb wrote

I think you're probably just being an ass, but in case you're just not that bright, I'll explain:

First, no one said the sponsors of the bill were good people. All that was said was that sometimes good people make mistakes. So, it's a possible explanation for this bad bill EVEN IF we assume the best about them.

Second:

Carlos González has been a social worker, prior to some private industry experience advancing likely-underserved Hispanic people and businesses. For at least 16 years since then, he's worked in government, representing all his constituents, perhaps even ones who say dumb shit on Reddit.

Judith A. Garcia has worked in local and state government for the last seven years. She's focused her work on housing, the environment, and education. She's also the daughter of an immigrant single mother who is showing everyone that the American dream is still possible, even in spite of all the negativity in our society, perhaps as evidenced in dumb comments on Reddit.

Shirley B. Arriaga joined the military when she was 20 and served for about a decade. Doing service in Iraq and Afghanistan "out of a sense of duty to our country." She did this even though some of what she was protecting was the right of idiots to say uninformed things on Reddit.

Bud L. Williams has been in public service in governmental capacity for some 30 years. Prior to that he was a probation officer, helping to rehabilitate those who had previously committed crimes but were on the road to becoming productive citizens, unlike those who fake-ask silly questions to pretend like they're clever on Reddit.

Russell E. Holmes was a successful small businessman for years prior to serving the public for the last ten-plus years. He has worked with community groups such as Big Brothers Big Sisters, tutored and mentored young adults, and has been there to support his wife of 14 years who has dedicated what seems like her whole life to education. And that's important because we so much ignorance everywhere, like in the comments on Reddit.

Third, each of those five people make only around $70k a year working for the public good when they could probably be in the private sector making more and putting up with less bullshit.

−1

trevor12121212 t1_j68vvlz wrote

Yeah you should’ve used gender neutral

−1

Appropriate-XBL t1_j68xxrp wrote

And you should use commas and periods.

−1

trevor12121212 t1_j68y40j wrote

I’ll be sure to do post-comment research then copy and paste a novel from Wikipedia next time

−1

Appropriate-XBL t1_j68y9jm wrote

Please let me know precisely where I plagiarized this from when you get a chance, professor.

trevor12121212 t1_j68yid8 wrote

Lol if you actually have mass representative biographies memorized I suggest turning off the tv and going for a walk while pondering life choices

Appropriate-XBL t1_j68ypzu wrote

I’d suggest you learn the difference between plagiarizing, memorizing, and research and writing.

But you’ll get a lot more out of just not being a tool-bag first.