Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DMSC23 t1_ja51eib wrote

well, I'd tell you my brand, but I don't want to dox myself lol. you'll find a ton of handmade soaps on etsy, but it is hard to know if their products are any good until you try them. unfortunately, a lot of the newer "soapers" are more interested in creating soaps that are more about "design" than actual quality, and they get their recipes from YouTubers, and those recipes tend to be high in coconut oil, which causes soap to be very drying to your skin.

some tips for finding a decent formula:

look for bars that have at least 2 or 3 butters (cocoa, shea, kokum, or cupuacu for example). if coconut oil is the first ingredient, it's probably a pretty drying soap. you want to see a combination of moisturizing oils/butters like castor, sunflower, safflower, hemp, olive, palm, etc.

you also want to avoid soaps with sorbitol or propylene glycol because they're not really handmade soaps, they're really made from a purchased base of what's referred to as "melt and pour" that people then add color and scent to, and while it can make a very pretty soap bar, it's not really what I would consider a quality soap

Sacred_Stardust OP t1_ja51rog wrote

Omg you could have a whole calls on this your advice is so useful thank you