Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Janus_The_Great t1_ja9jj0s wrote

Or you do it like the rest of the world and keep track of something the car in front passes by, start counting and stop counting when you pass that spot. If it's less than two seconds, you're too close. Bonus, it adapts for speed, you're literally counting down potential reaction time.

Do people not learn that in driving school in the US?

In Switzerland we still have markers sometimes, but they act as reminders. Counting is still safer.

Have a good one. Stay safe.

Planejet42 OP t1_ja9oyvz wrote

Yeah, but a lot of people also like to ride you. Like most structures put in place by the government, people who follow rules will follow. Others will still ride you.

louthelou t1_ja9qqkh wrote

The same could be said for the dots. They do provide some use as I’m sure they make some people aware of safe driving distance, but otherwise, they’re not changing anyone’s habits.

And frankly, the two-dot distance looks entirely too large on that road. You’d probably be fine with one.

MrdrOfCrws t1_jaau75l wrote

Can't speak for every state, but I learned the 2 second rule, but nobody else I've talked to about it has any memory of it.

iPlod t1_jaaxd1v wrote

Unfortunately it’s hard to fix people being lazy. Id argue having the dots would probably have a noteable impact on people driving too close to the car in front of them simply because they don’t have to do the counting. If so, why not implement them?

Janus_The_Great t1_jaaxtiu wrote

if they even see the street in between their car ant the one infront of them.

But yeah sure. if it helps it helps.

Empire2k5 t1_jab78ce wrote

It's 3secs in MN. And of course no one follows that.

arcanicEmbers t1_jabin8r wrote

Two for cars and three for motorcycles! That's how it was taught to me, at least.