Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

dr3adlock t1_ja8g20t wrote

Why not, its the west that shat on an otherwise peacefull symbol. Lets disarm the nazies by neutralizing their version of this symbol.

Not-Smegma-0n_Demand t1_ja8kxgs wrote

Exactly, take back the swastika!

Imafilthybastard t1_ja8ot35 wrote

Everytime I here someone says "We're taking it back" I think of Randall in Clerks and remember that it's never a good idea hahaha

samtheking25 t1_ja8lvfj wrote

The west didn't do that, The Nazis did

japachu t1_ja973i4 wrote

The Nazi's are part of the Western Civilization history. You can't just ignore it. That's not how it works.

samtheking25 t1_ja97f5v wrote

Sure they are but I don't think the Nazis = the west. Does ISIS represent the middle east?

japachu t1_ja989ob wrote

you seen American culture lately? Nazism is very prevalent in the west still.

TarkovskyAteABird t1_ja91j5t wrote

You'd be surprised how much the west and the nazis have in common

samtheking25 t1_ja927q4 wrote

no

−2

ShoalinShadowFist t1_jaa2kcj wrote

Don’t bother. There was a post recently about explaining how US is worse then a 3rd world country with mad awards and like like 3k upvotes.

The_Dough_Boi t1_ja8z8xp wrote

I know it’s almost been 100 years but it’s probably going to take a lot more time for that to happen.

ajv6200 t1_ja8i263 wrote

Except it wasn’t the west that shat on it was it…

−13

cheapcoffeesucks t1_ja8ijn2 wrote

Pretty sure USA, Europe, and Australia are all considered western

ajv6200 t1_ja8m557 wrote

Yes. But it wasn’t the “west” it was nazi Germany. It was the nazis… not the “west”. And on top of that, there is no reclaiming that symbol, both can be used concurrently, as a Hindu peace symbol, and a swastika. Neutralizing the symbol and making it common place would be insulting to all those who were affected by the swastika. This is a very nuanced debate, but neutralizing a symbol to make it less bad would be the same argument for letting anyone say the N word to decrease the weight the word carries… it’d be quite to neutralize either