Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sedition- t1_ja9qiau wrote

It's the craziest thing, there's no steak worth that much.

Chennsta t1_jaav2zb wrote

Wagyu? Dry age? Celebrity chefs? And, people are already willing to pay these prices

40ozkiller t1_jadojla wrote

You arent buying a raw steak to take home for $70, youre paying for them to prepare and serve it to you on top of the $30 cut of meat.

Stop being so dumb.

sedition- t1_jaeokgj wrote

That's crazy, you act like cooking an amazing steak is somehow worth that extra $40. Literally just chuck it into a well seasoned cast iron pan with melted butter and you've magically cut out the middle man somehow.

jnemesh t1_ja9wg3m wrote

You have obviously never eaten at a good steakhouse in your life. There are plenty of places where a steak is worth that much (or more)...and yes, it is quite different from your average steak at Chilis or wherever you get your $15 shoe leather served.

−35

MusicianMadness t1_jaa16gw wrote

Local butcher + prepare it yourself

jnemesh t1_jad7t2q wrote

If a) you have a good butcher and b) have the time and experience to prepare the steak properly.

Azhaius t1_jaanuzv wrote

I must just lack the taste receptors necessary for enjoying un-marinated beef, because I have literally never had a steak that tasted better, or even just different to any random grocery store slab cooked on a frying pan.

Literally the only time I'd ever choose steak over other options is if those other options were dry-ass chicken breast or even drier-ass turkey.

Rorynne t1_jab4v9a wrote

That is a thing afaik. Some people find steak and red meat in generaly to be extremely bland regardless of whats done woth it. Its some type of thing where that cant taste an essential part/enzymes/protein, whatever of steak.

jnemesh t1_jad6y1z wrote

I am guessing you never have been to a good steakhouse then. Find a Ruth's Chris sometime...

There is a HUGE difference between the "grocery store" beef, which is primarily grain fed, mass produced beef, and grass fed beef. You CAN taste it!

There is also the cut of the beef and the dry aging, both of which will improve the taste and texture. A proper dry aged steak is aged for at least 21 days...which also contributes to the cost of your meal.

If beef isn't your thing, this may be wasted on you, though...but for someone who enjoys a good steak, there really is no comparison.

Alternatively, you can also find a good local butcher who has grass fed beef, and dry age and prepare the steaks yourself...