Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CatPasswd t1_je74cky wrote

They'd better do an extreme change of that dog's diet, or it will be a corpse soon.

upvotealready t1_je8byit wrote

My dog had a UTI and developed bladder stones from that. It didn't have anything to do with diet.

cisned t1_je8elf4 wrote

Your dog needs to drink more water and go outside more often.

UTI are a sign his holding it in for long periods of time

upvotealready t1_je8mr9s wrote

No its not. Its caused by a bacteria infection.

−24

Aggravating_Lunch599 t1_je8y96d wrote

Yes, holding it in for long periods of time means the bacteria has longer periods of time to proliferate and wreak havoc, causing the UTI.

upvotealready t1_je9kc8p wrote

No, it was caused by a bacteria infection that had nothing to do with holding it in.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/struvite-bladder-stones-in-dogs

−9

Additional_Candle_55 t1_je9lurh wrote

No one’s arguing that it wasn’t bacteria, they’re simply saying that “holding it” rather than just going outside can result in a build up of bacteria and/or poor hydration, that results in a UTI, which is a fact for pretty much all animals.

brunaBla t1_je8zyzq wrote

Bladder stones are caused from a high urine pH. There are specific diets that lower urine pH making it more acidic and therefore dissolve the crystals. I’m not sure why you’re saying a UTI caused crystals, that’s not a thing.

There are certain dog breeds more prone to crystals (like Dalmatians).

upvotealready t1_je9k4dl wrote

Struvite bladder stones form when minerals in your dog’s urine become concentrated, which causes them to stick together and form crystals.

This often happens as a result of complications from a UTI. UTIs change the acidity of your dog’s urine to a high pH and prevent the minerals from breaking down properly. Struvite crystals are the most common type of bladder stone in dogs.

brunaBla t1_jeaoqe6 wrote

Yes, I’m aware. That’s frequent UTIs. It takes a long times for that to happen. A one time uti won’t do that.

upvotealready t1_jear243 wrote

>I’m not sure why you’re saying a UTI caused crystals, that’s not a thing.

You obviously didn't know that - and that's OK. An untreated UTI can form crystals in weeks. That is what my vet told me, if you google it you will get the same answer.